Thursday, March 12, 2009

Time Outs Work

You thought this post would be about discipline, didn't you? Maybe it is. It illustrates just how much my daughter hates time out. Mostly, it's supposed to be humorous. Here's how the story goes:

Maddie: Mooooom! Morgan just kicked me in the eeeeaaar!

Mom: Morgan! Come in here now! You kicked Maddie in the ear!? Would you want me to kick you in the ear?

Morgan: No. [Here she's doing the guilty squirming.]

Mom: Then go get on the naughty chair and take a time out for kicking your sister!

[Here she's not moving and not talking, then she raised her hand slowly.]

Morgan: I'll let you kick me in the ear if you don't give me a time out.

So does this mean she really trusts me (knowing that I would never, ever kick a child in the ear) or that she really hates time outs? If she hates time outs that much, then they must be an effective discipline tool!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I laughed so loud!!! One of those moments you will never forget!

Smith's Asian Adventure said...

Sounds like one of those times you want to laugh but have to keep a straight face for the kids.

Lerin said...

HAHAHAHA!!!!!! Seriously, that is hilarious.

A couple of days ago, I told Isabella she needed to clean up the Potato Heads or I would send her to time out. She said, "Okay, I'll go to time out."

My girl could take a lesson from your girl! ;)

abroadermark said...

I literally laughed out loud at this one!! Doncha just love the funny things kids say?!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious!! I have a feeling Olivia will be a similar child. She has already started weighing the idea of going ahead with something when she knows it will get her an "x" on her discipline chart. I'm trying to come up with something like if she did it knowing she would get an "x" maybe she should get two! Parenting a child is so much harder than a baby!!

MamaMidwife said...

You. Crack. Me. Up.

Kati said...

Jeremy and I literally laughed out loud. I love that she raised her hand. Dd you follow through without losing it to laughter?

seth said...

that's priceless. thanks for letting us in on this stuff!