Thursday, March 26, 2009

On Instilling Discipline Part 1

The definition of an expert is one who has practiced actively in their field for 10 years. According to that definition, I am not yet an expert parent nor do I claim to be! I have been parenting for nearly seven years, though, which means I must carry at least a Master's degree, right? I'm not sure that a University or a panel of my peers would award me the degree but I'll write this anyway! I've learned a lot in the last seven years by trial and error and also by the example of other parents and the wisdom of the children's grandparents. Here we go with Part 1:

---1---
Clean up big messes piece by piece.
When there's a big mess in the basement (our toy room), I gather the children and come downstairs with a bowl of M&Ms or Skittles. I explain to them that we need to clean up the toy room and that after they pick up and put away 3 things, I will give them an M&M. Each child gets busy and is enthusiastic. We repeat, repeat, repeat until the room is clean. This works very well when Mom is nursing a baby and can't do much except sit.


---2---
Give incentives when tasks are difficult.
On days when it's very cold and I know that my kids need fresh air and exercise, I tell them that if they go outside for 20 minutes (or whatever is bearable) that they may have hot cocoa for a snack. If the children are unmotivated to get up and play or to read a book, I offer a small reward for X amount of minutes spent on the new activity. For example, Morgan had math homework that she was struggling with and she was crying and frustrated. I got a package of Smartees out of the cupboard. Everytime she would complete a problem without pouting, crying, or fussing, I would give her one Smartee. Gradually, I increased to two problems per Smartee, then three, then four, etc., until the worksheet was done. Instead of being stressed out, we were finished and happy!

---3---
Make a statement.
When I want my children to do something, I don't ask; I tell. For example, I want Noah to get dressed. I say, "Noah, I want you to get dressed, please." I do not say, "do you want to get dressed?" The second, a question, leaves him an option. He could say no and then I must insist which sometimes invites an argument. When I need to run errands, I say, "get your shoes on, please, and get into the car!" I do not say, "do you want to go run errands?" I ask only if I am certain of their answer .... "Do you want to go to Grandma's house?"



---4---
Time is on your side.
When it's time to turn off the TV or stop playing or is the end time to something fun, I always give a timed warning. Often, I set a timer. I'll say, "Morgan, Madeleine, Noah, you have five more minutes with the play dough. When the timer goes off, we're putting it away." Another example is, "when the timer goes off, we are turning off the television and going outside." They protest sometimes but they rarely put up a fuss when they know what's coming. The timer can be a mom's best friend. After all, if someone was going to shut off a TV show I was watching, I'd want to know ahead of time. If someone came in and shut the TV off in the middle of my show and told me to go outside, I'd be angry!


---5---
Time for sharing
Speaking of the timer, my sister-in-law taught me how to help small children share. When Child #1 has a toy that Child #2 wants, especially if it belongs to Child #2, the best way to help them share is to set a timer. I tell the children that I will set the timer. Child #1 has the toy for five more minutes. When the timer goes off, Child #2 will have the toy for five minutes, then repeat if necessary. By the time the second timer goes off, the children are usually busy with other things.


---6---
Yes, we spank occasionally.
I do not like spanking. I do spank my children when they need it. I spank for two types of offenses: blatant disrespect and dangerous behavior. Blatant disrespect is a broad category but mostly involves defiance toward an adult. Dangerous behavior is, for example, biking into the street, playing with something dangerous in the house (electrical outlet!) or pushing a sibling off of the swing set. When the offense takes place, I tell the child to go to my room and wait for me. I get the other children busy and go into my room with the first child, explain what they did wrong, and tell them that I'm going to spank. I deliver one spank for each year of the child's age. After that, they have a time out, at one minute per year of age, to cool off and collect themselves. After time out, they apologize and then I hug them to end the time out.

Spanking doesn't always go by the book--if one of my children continues a naughty behavior and they've had warnings and time outs, I will spank to get my point across. Happily, that doesn't happen often (I don't remember the last time I spanked one of the girls). I do not like to spank.


---7---
My kitchen is not a restaurant ...
... and I am not a short order cook. My children eat what I make or they do not eat. If they are struggling with something on their plate, I will tell them to take as many bites as they are years old. Morgan must take six bites. Maddie must take five bites. Noah takes four bites. The bites they are required to eat will allow them to be excused from the table. If they want dessert (on the rare occasion that I serve it) then they must eat everything. If they're struggling with something that I know they're capable of eating, I'll get cookies out of the cupboard as an incentive.

On the other hand, I do not force them to eat things like onions or salsa and the portions that I put on their plates are very small--less than I think they'll actually eat. I try to make things that taste good, are healthy, and are easy to put down. Morgan doesn't like plain tomatoes so I ask her to eat just one piece. Also, I don't ask my children whether or not they want a certain dish. I give them small amounts and I might ask if they want more. The only things I offer a choice on are desserts and condiments. This might surprise you: Madeleine will turn down dessert if she is full!


---8---
Catch the children doing good things.
When a child does something that makes me happy, I praise them. I try to notice things that they've done well and point out exactly what it is that pleased me. I praise my children often.


---9---
Don't take a vote if you can't predict the outcome.
When it is time to choose an activity or a movie for the whole family, I do not take a vote. Taking a vote only means that I could get four different opinions and only one person could end up happy (and the other three would make him miserable). When we are headed to the park, I pick the park. When we are going to pick up food, I pick the restaurant. Occasionally, I will take one child aside, perhaps the one who needs a little extra love on that day, and ask them what they want to do or eat. Otherwise, I make the decisions.


---10---
Let the kids get dirty.
I let my children play in sand and water, sometimes mud if we have adequate time to clean up. If it's messy outdoors where they want to play, I change them into darker clothing.



Part 2 is written and will be published soon.

What works for you?

11 comments:

Kati said...

Great post, Aubrey. When you mentioned salsa in your notes about meals it made me laugh because Bernadette always wants to eat chips and salsa and she drinks the salsa when she's out of chips.

We've been working on the not asking if they want to do something at our house. It seems natural for us to always want to ask, "Should we get dressed now?" instead of "Time to get dressed." It is a hard habit to break.

Aubrey said...

Thanks, Kati

It is a hard habit to break, isn't it, because we are taught that to speak in absolutes is somewhat rude. Jeremy (my Jeremy) still sometimes asks the kids when he wants them to do something and it backfires on him! ;)

Sandra said...

Hi there! Great post. I LOVE my timer. It is a very good asset in my humble opinion and obviously you take great advantage of this as well! I have 3 boys, so sometimes I feel like I'm totally failing with discipline because they are sassy or throw a tantrum, but I have found that it's not throwing a tantrum that is the issue, but how I respond to it. Anyway, loved the post. :)

Colleen said...

For sharing, we make the little ones count to 10 to take turns. They learn how to count to ten at a very young age!!

I agree with your parenting style! Especially the "tell, don't ask" rule.

I know it's important for kids to feel they are making a decision, so I always give two options to most things. Usually one option is something I KNOW they won't pick so that they always end up picking what I want them to pick. Example, "For dinner, do you want meat loaf or onions?"

Suddenly meat loaf looks a lot more appetizing ;)

Can't wait to read part 2!

elm said...

For picking up those big messes... We do a crazy activity that appears to be making a bigger mess and makes the kids think I am nuts, but it is fun, so they participate with my craziness!

I make "posters" with regular 8.5 x 11 paper. I write the name of a category of toys and also attempt at drawing a picture of the items. They all gather around and watch me draw and try to guess the category and then I print the word and they find out if they were right or wrong. I draw the pictures because not everyone is a reader in our house, yet. But, the pictures also make it fun, because I am not a spectacular drawer and I want to show that it is ok to try and not be perfect sometimes. Anyway, then I hang up the pictures down the hallway or around the area - but outside of the spaces where the toys, books, laundry, etc belong. Then they go into their rooms and our school room/loft and start running around like chickens with their heads cut off and I sometimes help. They bring out all the items from those spaces and put them into the appropriate piles. THEN we can SEE how a nice clean space will look when we are finished!! And they don't get bogged down in the details and they don't SIT down to put something away!! Next, we work on the piles and it moves quickly!! If I stay close by and keep prodding of what next, we can get a major mess cleaned up in less than an hour!!

As far as rewards... I don't like to give rewards for things that I expect of my kiddos. I give rewards to them when they are unexpected and it is part of that catching them being kind and helpful. I have a "treat box" that has little cheap things that the kids like - stickers, little candies, glow sticks, temporary tattoos, little pieces of paper I printed out on the computer that allow free-play on the computer for 30 minutes or so, etc. I offer to get out the treat box when they were playing nicely together and making something run smoothly or if I was cleaning somewhere in the house and they offer to help or if a surprise is just in order for the day! I don't like to attach rewards to expected things or they begin to expect rewards for what I expect them to do. Too much expectations all wrapped up together for us!!

I, also, use a 5 minute warning, but I also give a 2 or 1 minute warning since they are not so good at knowing how long 5 minutes is. So, I give a follow-up warning. It is nice that my timer will beep for 1 minute. So, if I tell the kids that I am setting the timer for 5 minutes, the timer will start beeping and they know that they have 1 minute until it stops beeping. So, if 5 minutes is my limit... I might set it for 4 minutes. This works great if they are playing "WebKinz" on the computer - that extra one minute allows them to put their "pet" to bed or one last feeding or some such thing. WebKinz World... a strange place!! :)

My kids also love knowing that after they play outside in cooler weather I will likely make hot chocolate when they come in!!

When I, for example, need my kids to get dressed quickly I tell them to go and don't ask. Some days we have "pajama day" for our homeschool and they think it is hilarious. If I need them to wear something "nice and I don't have a strong opinion on what it is (no photos or whatever) they just choose. IF I need them to look good for a photo or a special Mass or some such thing, I will make to suggestions and they can choose - but I try to make the 2nd option that they won't like!! ;)

We don't spank - I have never found an instance of my kids doing something that would warrant spanking. Often if they did something dangerous, my fear or the look on my face was enough as they feel remorse and it was OBVIOUS that they knew they were wrong and were trying to make it "better" and there wasn't a repeat of events.

I am not a short order cook for supper. I will make different things for lunches and breakfast - so long as they are not complicated. For example, Pops and I usually have bacon or sausage and eggs for breakfast. Bud likes hot cereal (but NOT oatmeal) or sometimes the eggs and meat. Branch likes apple or maple oatmeal or a bowl of cold cereal OR toast/bagel/english muffin that she will need me to help put the spreads on. Blossom likes a bowl of cold cereal or maple oatmeal or that bread item with a spread. SO, if I wasn't making pancakes or something "special" I will let them choose whatever they prefer. None of those items is hard to do, hot cereal is add hot water, breads are spread butter or jam or whatever and cold cereal involves pouring milk. So, I would rather them eat a good hearty breakfast with maybe a piece of fruit for the cold cereal days than to say everyone is having the same thing. Lunch is similar. Unless I am making chicken nuggets or mac and cheese or something, I will put what they want on their bread, or let some have a little of this or a little of that. Sometimes a leftover from the night before. It varies greatly. Supper? No way. I prepare a meal that has a bit of something everyone likes and I only require them to eat one bite. IF they don't like it - done. If they did? Well, wasn't I smart to have made their new favorite dish?!?! But there is always something on the table that everyone likes. It may mean that some night my littlest will only eat her noodles, one bite of chicken and one bite of green bean casserole. Then the next time chicken comes around she will eat more than I can keep up with and she eats plain green beans by the scoopful. There are very few things that are disliked. We really eat lots of variety in the vegetable department and they like them all. Various preparations aren't their favorites, tough. I once read a book about feeding and it made sense to me, and I stick with that. As far as dessert... They don't always know if a dessert is going to be served or not, because they are fairly rare. But everyone can have a bit if they want. No having to eat it all off their plate. They might only get a small little piece, but they get to finish with a sweet taste if there was a dessert. Now, the kid who ate their whole plate, filled it up again and left me NO leftovers and was still hungry (I have a boy who is growing and a girl who is seeming to catch up!) a second helping of a dessert would be fine if they wanted... feel like they scored BIG and, well, they did! But, that is rare... I like to cook for leftovers!!

Dirt. Rain is good! Our kids go our in the rain and get dirty. My only "rule" in that is to not track the dirt inside!! Dirt, paint, play-doh, bubbles, chalk, all that... have fun with it outside!! Get messy, strip in the garage and go take a bath!! :) I like dirt on kids!

I loved your post. It is so cool to learn what other people do with their kids and to hear new strategies!! While it isn't our policy to reward for the expected, I think the m&m/skittle thing for the toy mess would be fun... although I think I would do 10 - 15 items... polly pocket stuff is LITTLE and the sugar high... oh the sugar high after putting away polly pockets!!

elm said...

OH, my - I just realized I just monopolized your comment bar... YIKES! I guess I REALLY enjoyed your topic today!! Can't wait to read part 2. I will try to restrain myself next time!! ;)

Denn Mom said...

What a great list! I love the timer idea on taking turns. I just bought a timer to do 10-minute cleanups around the house; now I can use it for this! And I love dirty kids, too. :)

Staci said...

That is funny - I just wrote a post about the frustrations of getting Elizabeth through her homework! That cracks me up that it came up. We do rewards some, but not so often as it sounds like you do. I wish I'd thought of it today, because we were struggling to get through the silly assignment.

I love reading all your other comments as well. It's good sometimes to reflect on policies so that it doesn't have to feel so much like we're winging it every day.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this post, Aubrey. I've learned #3, too, and am trying to break the habit of saying, "Okay?" at the end of my thoughts. That gets me into trouble! I've also found multiple uses for the kitchen timer. I'm currently in the market for pleasant sounding one. I'm still on the fence regarding #6 . . . my thing is that Livy copies everything I do and I know she will start "spanking" her younger sisters at which point it becomes difficult to explain that only Mama & Daddy can hit . . .
Totally with you on #7 - we had to take no thank you helpings when I was growing up (which meant you had to try everything that was served). We don't do it exactly that way in our house, but I do want the children to understand that we eat as a family and everyone eats what was prepared. I know #8 is important and need to do more of that. And being a farm kid, #10 comes naturally to me! That's why we had two sets of clothes - playclothes/outdoor clothes & school clothes/outing clothes. I look forward to the rest of the story!

Ginny said...

So funny, I thought I was the only one trying to break the habit of saying "okay?" at the end of a command :)

The Wades said...

Fun times on this blog. I so strongly agree with not being a short order cook. My kids are fantastic eaters because they are expected to eat what we serve. If they do not like something they are supposed to say, "I'm not used to it yet." (only if they must say something.) Usually they are to be polite about it and grateful that someone took the time to cook for them.

Again, sounds like you're one heck of a mama. :)