Tuesday, March 31, 2009

On Instilling Discipline Part 3

This is third in a series written to exchange thoughts and theories on parenting with other moms. If you are tempted to think that I'm too serious, peek at the blog title! Please deposit your 2 cents in the Messages (comments) section! Don't hold back--I'd love to hear what you have to say!

---11---
Don't be afraid to say the word NO. A child asks, "can we go outside?" Some adults will answer, "it's raining and cold." What does that tell the child? The child is thinking, "you're right--it's raining. So can we go out?" I always answer the child's question directly. I say yes or I say no. Sometimes I offer an explanation, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I answer yes or no and then say, "do you want to know why?" Sometimes I wait for the child to ask because I want them to ask. When the two year old gets near the stove and reaches up, telling them, "that's hot," is not going to do much for them. Saying "NO!" is going to stop them in their tracks. Telling a three year old, "that will make a mess," doesn't mean NO to them. It means that will make a mess. They want to make a mess. Just because we think that the word NO has negative connotations doesn't mean we should avoid using it, especially with children.

---12---
Let the older children help the younger ones. I struggle with this because I think that the children are all my responsibility, that the older ones should not have to help out (I feel that I had too much responsibility for my siblings when I was growing up). For example, the girls can get Isaiah out of his clothes and into a swim diaper as long as his bedroom door is closed. It's very helpful! Morgan can make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Morgan and Madeleine can zip and unzip each other's dresses. Noah can help Isaiah reach his drink. Madeleine can read her school book to Morgan who can help her with the tricky words. They're proud to help each other. They should be helping and teaching one another!

---13---
Phrase it positively. If I want my child to stop doing something, I tell them what I WANT them to do. For example, instead of saying, "Noah! Stop touching the TV!" I say, "Noah, take your hand off of the television." I really think that these kids hear us like the Peanuts heard adults, so I always think that when I say, "don't tease your brother," they actually hear, "wa-wa-wa tease your brother."

---14---
Heard often in my house:
Please don't ask again.
Well done!
Because I said so.
Your dad is amazing!
Who's the boss?
I didn't ask if you wanted to; I told you to do it.
I love you.

---15---
Follow through! If I tell the children to stop doing something or to start doing something and they don't stop/start what I've told them to do I GET UP AND MAKE THEM DO IT. I don't sit in my chair and call over and over and over (although sometimes I'll count). Words don't always work. Have you ever seen those kids in the store or the park whose parents are sitting on benches calling and yelling and not getting anywhere? Everybody in the store knows the child's first and middle names except for that child. I'm glad that my kids don't go to school with those kids!

---16---
Let them make choices about the small things. Do you want to wear the orange shoes or the blue shoes? Do you want ice in your water? Do you want dessert? Do you want to wear a sweater or a jacket? Would you rather invite your cousins or your classmates for your birthday party? Would you like to use the purple shampoo or the green shampoo?

---17---
Choose your battles. A parent must always win the battle or the children get to be in charge. If I threaten something, I follow through. Because of that, I'm careful about what I threaten to do. If one of the children is behaving poorly at the zoo, I don't threaten to leave the zoo unless I'm willing to do it because that involves four unhappy children. If I threaten to leave the zoo and the child misbehaves again, we leave. I don't pick a battle that I don't have the energy or the will to win.

---18---
Allow children to experience small (safe) natural consequences. If you wear only a jacket, you're going to be cold. If you wear your crocs out this morning, your feet will get wet and cold. If you continue to wrestle near the coffee table, you're going to hit your head. Are you sure you think my coffee tastes good? Want a sip? It's 50 degrees outdoors. If you wear that skirt outside, you'll get cold. If you don't bring that drink along, you're going to be thirsty. You wanted to bring it along; I'm not going to carry it.

---19---
Offer a "next time" clause. Rather than becoming upset about little things that my children may or may not realize were wrong, I'll instruct them toward next time. Noah, remember that you can't stand on the toilet seat when you're using the sink. Next time, I want you to use the step stool. Morgan, next time you take a shower, I want you to hang up your towel afterward. Next time you want an apple, Madeleine, you must ask before you take it.

---20---
I say yes, too. Mom, may I have a third cookie? Can we go to the park with the lake? Can we invite Jane Doe over? Can we put on our swimsuits and dance in the rain? If I make a mess, will you get upset? Can we wash our cars with the hose? May I take pictures with your camera? Do we have the best daddy ever?

::

Part 4 is in the works.
What do you have to add?

7 comments:

Colleen said...

Oooh, love them all! Especially the saying yes one. Before we had kids, we decided that we would say "yes" often, as long as it didn't spoil them, or harm them physically, mentally, emotionally or spiritually. Sometimes parents are quick to say "no" purely out of laziness (I am too tired to play outside with you again!) so I try to remember to say yes often :)

elm said...

#11 - I just have to ask... do you have times of maybe? I do. I just don't know how to deal with it because I say maybe and that means the kids want to know if it is a yes kind of maybe or a no kind of maybe. It is maybe a "maybe" that is dependent on other things - like if things get cleaned up, if the sun is out and the rain stops, if our friends want to join us, if... Yes we have No or Yes.. but, sometimes I want to reserve the right for Maybe and have it turn into yes or no!!

#13 - We try very hard at this one working as parents to phrase things positively. We gets lax about it and start to see poor behavior and it can almost always be traced back to making negative requests instead of positive requests.

#15 - The HARDEST part of being a parent. Please go do... and having to follow through and make sure it got done. We are busy and sometimes forget what we have asked our children to do. But, it is important to do it! I am always telling my kids that they way that they keep our trust and earn more privileges is by doing what they are told even if we aren't right there making sure. Because we will know if things were accomplished.

#17 - Hard one, again! Sometimes we make a "threat" that we think sounds so terrible how could they not comply!?! But, then to follow through... OH, MY!

Good thoughts to share, Aubrey! Do you have more?!?!?! This has been fun!

Aubrey said...

Yes, we have a MAYBE but only when it's necessary. I will sometimes tell the kids, "let me think about it for a minute." If it has to be a MAYBE, then I make it clear to the kids what would make it a YES or what would make it a NO. That's a tough one because they don't understand MAYBE very well.

Because of the MAYBE factor, I've stopped telling kids about play dates or special events until the last minute. With a last minute illness or cancellation, it's easier for me to wait for the last minute rather than have to tell them that we can't go do XYZ after all. It's so hard on them (me too).

Jenny said...

These are all so good, Aubrey! I feel like printing them out and pasting them on my mirror. This is the kind of mom I want to be - thanks for reminding me!!

And regards #11, JR has asked me to work on answering him directly, too (say yes or no and then give the explanation). I usually end up telling a story and then he wonders what the answer was! Also, I heard one time to have a few distinctions for no - like "No! That's dangerous!!" or "No, it's dirty." That providing a quick explanation (2 words) that is used over and over will help them put the No into context. Do your kids put up a fuss if you just say no without saying why? For some reason I feel like it's comforting to provide the explanation (and perhaps educational depending on the circumstance).

I've REALLY enjoyed this series - keep 'em coming!!

Mrs. E. said...

I enjoyed this post. I've been especially convicted lately about #11. A simple NO is OK and I don't need to explain myself no matter how dramatic the reaction. Enjoy your new stove. Yeah! You will love it. . . every day!
Heather

Diane said...

This is so interesting, Aubrey! #11 is the one that stuck out for me, too, and it seems to be the most commented on item!

Although, I think it stuck out for me for a different reason. Because I have been set on NOT saying 'no' since our oldest (4) was just a baby. BUT, it was not because I felt like being a new-agey parent who follows all of the modern fluffy parenting advice. I just thought that saying, "Henry! That is not a toy; you need to put that down" and then redirect them would accomplish (teach) more than just hollering NO! at my baby every time I turned around. And then, as a bonus, since I wasn't saying NO! to him, he wasn't learning to say it to me. (And it worked! Plus, he was never the baby that all he knew how to say was, 'nonononono')

A couple other things was that this, then, automatically taught me to quickly get in the very good habit of #13. And then, since now they're older and I've been in the habit of offering an explanation for my reasons, I rarely ever get asked anything more than once. ;)

Great series!

Wife of a Soldier said...

Just wanted to say, I am LOVING this series you are doing and it is super helpful to have while my kids are still super little :) Keep up the good work!!!