Sunday, March 1, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday Volume 8

Visit Jennifer at Conversion Diary!

Warning: In this post, I've touched on politics and criticized Pro-choice politicians who say that they are Roman Catholic. If you think you'll be offended, skip #1, #2, #4, and #5. Better yet, just visit another post.

--1--
Nancy Pelosi said the following when she was asked how her she attempted to justify reconciled her Pro-choice views with her Catholicism: "I would say that as an ardent, practicing Catholic, this is an issue that I have studied for a long time. And what I know is, over the centuries, the doctors of the church have not been able to make that definition. And St. Augustine said at three months, we don't know. The point is, is that it shouldn't have an impact on the woman's right to choose."

This is not the Catholic Church's teaching on abortion and never has been. The Pope himself set her straight in a recent private meeting.

A press release from the Vatican stated, “His Holiness took the opportunity to speak of the requirements of the natural moral law and the Church’s consistent teaching on the dignity of human life from conception to natural death which enjoin all Catholics, and especially legislators, jurists and those responsible for the common good of society, to work in cooperation with all men and women of good will in creating a just system of laws capable of protecting human life at all stages of its development.”

Thank you, Pope Benedict!

--2--
Can a political cartoon featuring a dead chimpanzee really be construed as racist? Really? Published in a paper which is part of the media which is absolutely in love with President Obama? Really? I don't believe that ANY paper would have the audacity to publish something that they perceived to belittle black Americans. The kinds of papers which are willing to publish those kinds of things are secret and are distributed underground--not on every news stand from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Maybe the joke's on the dead chimpanzee which mauled a woman in Connecticut or on the ridiculously frightening stimulus bill which probably was written by people with the collective intelligence of a primate rock. Will every criticism of President Obama and his plans be labeled racist?

--3--
The Community Blood Bank called. They want my blood! They must like me because every time I go, I get a card that gives me an A+!

--4--
On Ash Wednesday, I saw a clip of VP Joe Biden in a meeting with what looked like several important government employees. I thought, "what is that thing on his forehead?" Then I remembered that he says that he is Catholic. I pray that Mr. Biden (and our president) have a change of heart and begin to see the truth: that life begins at conception.

--5--
Why do I keep picking on Catholic politicians? I'm Catholic, right? Right. People who are publicly Catholic should publicly follow all of the teachings of the church. Doing anything less is scandal. It makes me very angry, as their influence has the potential to lead others astray. They misrepresent what practicing American Catholics believe. I wish they would stop flaunting their religion until they are ready to accept and practice all of what the Catholic Church teaches. The teachings of the church are not laid out cafeteria style--you don't get to pick and choose and then exit the line with your assortment of favorites. The Church is not a democracy and its teachings do not change. We CHOOSE to be Catholic. We are not forced to follow the teachings of the Church, but we CHOOSE to. If you CHOOSE to be (publicly) Catholic, then you need to be completely Catholic or stay quiet. Don't get me wrong; I don't want these politicians to stop being Catholic. On the contrary....I want them to start being completely Catholic!

--6--
Do any of you ever wish that your days were a little longer? You may be getting your wish. According to Discover magazine, "Tidal friction from the sun and moon slows our planet and increases the length of a day by 3 milliseconds per century."

--7--
Also according to Discover magazine, "by the age of 14, the average American child has seen 11,000 murders on TV." Careful, Mom and Dad!

5 comments:

abroadermark said...

You go Aubrey girl!! I'm right there with you on the politician stuff. How can people be so...so...well, stupid?

Anonymous said...

It is shocking & disappointing how foolish Pelosi insists on being. I wish one of the reporters would ask her if we don't have a bit better science now than St. Augustine did and perhaps he was making his best guess based on theology in a complete vacuum in relation to the scientific evidence about early human life. It is ludicrous to say that we cannot answer the question of when life begins in the 21st century where we can plainly see their little faces from the earliest weeks of pregnancy!

I'm so glad to hear the days are lengthening, but I will have a hard time deciding what to do with my extra 3 miliseconds! :)

Lerin said...

I'm a convert. I can assure you there is plenty of religious freedom in this country. No one is forced to reamin a member of a church that they do not support.

That's why I just don't get it...

If you call yourself a Catholic, it means you place yourself under the authority of the Catholic Church.

If you don't, then PLEASE STOP CALLING YOURSELF CATHOLIC. Cause guess what? You aren't!

Ugh. But you already know my feelings on Pelosi.

Thanks for speaking out!

Marianne said...

Wow-#7 really makes me just want to keep the TV off! Good short takes!

MamaMidwife said...

#3 had me completely laughing!! I get an A+ card too when I leave! Ha Ha!!

And as far as the Catholic stuff goes......I am with you. I had the same conversation about being fully Catholic with a friend of mine recently. I don't know if it's just because I'm a convert, but it REALLY UPSETS me when I run into people who claim to be Catholic and then vocally mis-quote Church teaching, or better yet, say Church teaching is wrong or not relevent to the times, etc.

Within the last year during my midwifery classes we had a midwife come in to lecture about STD's and she took it upon herself to give us an A-OK for the "morning after pill". She then proceed to say that the USCCB said it was OK to administer this to Catholics!!???!! When I called her on it, she promised to email me the article. Uh-huh. Then when I spoke to my instructor about it, she said, "That's funny. She should know though, because she's Catholic."

NOT IN MY BOOK.

Thanks for posting this awesome, thoughtful commentary. Love it. And I think I'll use my extra 3 milliseconds to leave comments on blogs. :)