Friday, March 6, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday Volume 9

Visit Jennifer at Conversion Diary for more quick takes!

---1---
We welcome a new cousin (nephew) into our family this week! Louis Benedict Allen was born yesterday at 3:30 p.m. and weighed in at 6 pounds 8 ounces. He joins two older brothers and one older sister. Congratulations to Laurie and Kevin! Louis was named for a French king, Louis IX, who was a strong Catholic leader. The boys and I went up to the hospital today to visit them this morning. My friend Lindsay also had a baby yesterday (nine minutes before Louis!) so we also stopped briefly to visit her and baby Vianney, a beautiful little girl named for Jean-Marie Vianney. It's so wonderful to hold a newborn. They're so sleepy, warm, and soft. What a blessing new life is!


---2---
My 22 month old son just went potty on the toilet for the second time ON PURPOSE! I recently began sitting him on the toilet before a bath, then during a diaper change. No pressure, I just wanted him to get used to the toilet, as we do not begin potty training until our children are about 2 1/2. He was too nervous sitting down, so yesterday I stood him up on a stool. He giggled and looked around. Then big brother came in to demonstrate and Isaiah followed suit! We rewarded him with cookies immediately and he asked to go potty again today and he did! I am in no hurry, but the idea is there--he knows what the toilet is for--and that's a good beginning!

---3---
It was 76 degrees here yesterday! This beat the old record of 74, set back in 1910.


---4---

My friend Jen suggested that we get together at the park for some outside time. So Staci, Jen, and I met at a local park with a lake where we let the kids play on the playground and then took a walk along a part of the lake's shore. Staci and Jen stayed with their kids for lunch but I took mine home for lunch. In hindsight, I wish I would have stayed too!


---5---
When we were walking near the lake, I heard a beautiful sound. It sounded like a rushing river but there is no river nearby. I looked at the shore and realized that there was a lot of ice in very small chunks remaining in the water at the edges of the lake and as the waves lapped on the shore, the ice was making a beautiful, peaceful noise like a small waterfall. I could have sat there and listened for the rest of the day.


---6---
The boys and I were out looking for things to do this morning so we stopped by the firestation where a friend works. He was out on a call but we were given a small tour by a very friendly fireman. He showed Noah the fire truck and told him about all of the knobs and tools. Then one man came out of an exercise in full gear and Noah watched him take it all off. They were practicing a rescue using a darkened room. The scenario was that a fireman was down and it was dark and the rescuer had to find him and attach a new oxygen tank in the dark. For the second round, Noah was allowed to step into the room and see the captain who was laying down. He sat up and let Noah rap on his helmet, gave the boys a high-five, and told them about his gear. I thought that the boys, especially 22-month old Isaiah, would be intimidated by the oxygen mask covering his face but instead they were fascinated. I'm so grateful for our firefighters. They are so generous with their time and such gracious hosts whenever we stop to visit. Next time we're going to bring treats for them.


---7---
This is Noah and his friend Ruth. They're just a few months apart in age and will be in preschool together next year. We were at Chuck E. Cheese for Ruth's cousin's birthday party. These two are almost inseparable (or at least Noah thinks so)!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is adorable Aubs, looks like a postage stamp. They both look so happy. Grandma

Kati said...

Congratulations, Aunt Aubrey! :)

Jillian said...

I love reading your blog! What a beautiful day yeasterday...can't wait til Maria gets better so we can enjoy it fully! Loved the mud pictures-you are one brave momma!

Krissy said...

Yikes, potty training! I've not even thought that far ahead yet! Glad he is on board!