Monday, March 30, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook Volume 18

March 30, 2009

Outside my window it is sunny and cool/warm, depending on what you're used to. It's 45 right now which is decent for 9:27 in the morning in Nebraska during the spring. It's supposed to get up to 58 today but tomorrow we're looking at a 50% chance of snow. The lawn is starting to green up a bit but I'm eager for the trees to turn their buds to leaves!
.
I am thinking about whether or not to take Morgan (7) to the doctor today. She's had a fever every day since Friday along with a head ache, a mild sore throat, a cough, and a runny nose. It could just be a virus but I'm a little worried that I'm missing something. To do or not to do, that is the question. Our copay is only $20 so that's not holding me back. What would you do?

Learning at school and at home... Morgan solved a tough word scramble this weekend, a first for her. I did not know that she could do it. I must underestimate my kids. Madeleine reads more words each week. Noah knows more of his letters than I thought--more than half--and Isaiah is just Isaiah in all of his nearly 2 year old glory.

I am thankful for... Facebook to use as a tool for keeping in touch with people.

I am wearing... jeans and a Tomac T-shirt, socks and mocs.

I am reading... the same as the last two weeks: Dark River.

I am hoping... for spring time without snow (shallow, I know).

I am creating, with the help of God, a happy, holy, healthy family.

Around the house... a new stove arrives on Thursday! Ours is from 1989 and is a glass top stove on which only one burner actually functions. The others sort of warm up a little. The oven works well but its door is perpetually stuck and must be yanked open and banged shut. The new stove has a convection oven. Yipee! Look for kolaches soon....

I recommend... a state park permit. Since Jeremy is also home sick and can stay home with Morgan, I'm going to put the boys in the van, pick up a park permit at a nearby grocery store, and go to the lake for a little while while the weather is nice.

One of my favorite things... my Canon Powershot. I dropped the old one when the lens was extended and it still works but not as well as I'd like. I put some of my fun money into a new Powershot this weekend. It's an A2000 IS, 10 MP and 6x zoom. What would I do without my Canon?

A few plans for the rest of the week... Bible study tonight, Girl Scouts (Daisies) tomorrow night, a meal to a friend with a newborn on Thursday.

A picture thought to share: Isaiah looks scared in this picture but he's actually excited. Can you imagine being excited when a dog as big as you jumps on you? :: Be sure to visit Peggy to read her Daybook and those of other women! ::

6 comments:

~Kathy~ said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

You have a beautiful blog. I love the picture of your little boy and the dog. It reminds me of my son when he was that age.

~Kathy

Jenny said...

Hope Morgan is feeling better. That is always a tough call regarding the doctor. Go with your gut!

I know what you mean about underestimating the kids. I was feeling like that yesterday when Olivia was taking a nap and I offered Molly a crayon and a coloring book and thought she'd make a chicken scratch or two. She colored the whole picture and wanted to do more!! Who knew Molly could color (she's 19 months now).

Do you have a Tomac?

I like your new section "I recommend" - what made you start that?

Aubrey said...

Thanks, Kathy!

Jenny, JR said that you have comments on RSS feed, so I suppose you'll get to read this whether I e-mail it or post it! :)

I did take Morgan to Dr. M. He says that he thinks that she is at the end of Influenza (again). Next year, we're getting the shots. *sigh* Luckily, she's doing well today, just hasn't kicked the fever yet.

Isaiah loves to color, too!

No, I don't have a Tomac. It's my brother-in-law's company, so we have the T-shirts and I have to make a plug for them occasionally. They're really serious mountain bikes and I haven't ridden a bike since I was about 20, so a nice bike like that would be a waste on me.

The movie Dan in Real Life made me start the recommend part last week. I noticed that I left out, "I Am Hearing..." and probably a couple of other things in my copy, paste, and delete method of posting.

I'm on my way over! :)

jessy said...

Hi Aubrey!
Thanks for the comment on my blog. It's always a joy to meet new blog friends.
I am growing increasingly desirous of a new stove AND camera. What a coincidence. But we are mid-way through our Dave Ramsey debt snowbal, so I suppose I will be a good little girl and send the money off to something like student loans. *sniffle, sniffle*

Lisa said...

Thanks for stopping by my daybook.
I really enjoyed you blog and will be back.
I would not have gone to the Dr.-but, I always push that off as long as possible. They usually say things like, "this child has not been seen in 6 years", well he was not sick enough to be there for that long. Glad you are at the end of the illness, hope she is feeling better.
Congratulations on your new stove. If you have cooked for a family of 6 on 1 burner you are not going to know how to act with 4, enjoy!

Aubrey said...

Jessy--hello from a fellow Ramsey fan! We still have student loans to work on but we did pay cash for the stove and for the camera! Yay! The old stove was becoming unbearable and was causing me to spend waaaay too much time in the kitchen. Maybe I'll write a (joke) post later ... Ode to my Ghetto Stove. ;)

Lisa, our doctor is so understanding of our turned-out-to-be-nothing visits. He says that he'd rather us feel safe knowing that our child is okay than pacing the floor wondering. I think if I'd waited a day longer, I would have ended up not going at all since she bounced back. I worried that I was missing pneumonia as I did with my younger daughter about a year ago. :( (I'm a little too paranoid, I think!) It's a blessing to have such good insurance though--it doesn't hold me back from making the decision. My other daughter just turned up with a high fever but I'm not going to head in with her, as Morgan's visit explained a lot for me.

Can't wait to test my four new burners! :)