
Holy Name is the parish that I grew up in. It's a Roman Catholic parish staffed by
Redempt-
orists in northeast Omaha. Every Friday of Lent, they host a fish fry. It is put on by their Men's Club as a big fundraiser for the parish and school. People line up and wait for an hour or two for a plate of this delicious fish. They bring coolers of beer and they bring their friends.

The line runs along the school in the parking lot but once you've worked your way inside, you are treated to a free beer, and then a refill as you get to the front of the line. Their pastor was the man serving beer toward the front of the line last night!

When I was a child, I worked at the fish fries and I remember the number served gradually increasing from 1100 to 1400 (in a four hour period!). When we were there last night, we saw a sign indicating that, on a recent Friday, they served nearly 3000 people between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m.! When we left at 10:00, there were still people trickling in.

Although my family moved away from Omaha many years ago, it is a tradition to come back for a Fish Fry once a year. I wish that I could come back every week! Last night, Mom, Craig, John, Emily, Eli, Leighton, Brianna, Jeremy, and I were able to attend. Seth attended in spirit since he is 1662 miles away.

We were treated to Amazing Grace played by a parishioner on the bagpipes.

Jeremy's parents took the kids overnight; we were happy to be out together.

This is the money we pooled to pay Leighton to drink something really gross.

He had to think about it for awhile. After all,
root beer, tartar sauce, coleslaw, and a few other ingredients don't make a very tasty brew.

But he put mind over matter and put it down.... then we paid him!


Whenever we attend a Fish Fry, we are usually lucky enough to see someone that we know from the 80s when we were in the parish. This time it was a classmate of mine, Katy! I was excited, as I haven't seen Katy in many years. Our class was very small, so its members knew one another very well and we spent quite a bit of time together!
Go, Holy Name Ramblers!
4 comments:
I was baptized at Holy Name.
We haven't made it for a fish fry there, but it looks like a good time.
I've been to this fish fry and it's good...my mom goes there every Friday of Lent, in fact they all went up last night for my brother's birthday! Good times, and yes, a great money maker...although you smell like to locale/fish/grease for days after you go!
I love a date night at a fish fry. Good times!
I had to show the pictures of the drink challenge to Jake. He always makes (and consumes) strange concoctions when we're out, though he usually sticks to mixing beverages. Tartar sauce takes it to a whole new level...
:O you took pictures!!!!! that's almost as good as being there!! :D That makes me so happy! Thanks for the voicemail that night by the way, it was awesome to hear. I'm so jealous you guys went there, and the first pic you put in the blog; I almost didn't recognize eli because of the sideways face he was making. i had to click on the thumbnail :)
Post a Comment