Thursday, October 28, 2010

New Smart Alec

You have five kids!?  Have you figured out what causes that yet?
Yes, we have.  That's why we have five kids.  Have you figured it out yet?  I see you only have two kids.  Maybe you need lessons?
::
You have five kids!?  We got fixed after our second was born.
What was broken?  Oh, you think you were broken.  I'm sorry you did that.  You'll be so disappointed when things get easier and you desire another child.
::
Do you know what birth control is?
Yes.  It's a chemical solution for a lack of self control.  It prevents families from growing to their potential.
::
Well you've got your hands FULL.
Yes, I do, thank goodness!  I'd have to get a job if they were empty.
::
You stay at home with your kids?  What do you DO all day?
Seriously?
::
Why would you want more kids? (Said incredulously right in front of my children who speak and understand English)
Because my kids are so great, that I want 10 more just like them.
::
How can you afford five kids?
I'll let you know when I figure that out.
::
So are you done now?
Gee, I hope not.  We've done such a good job on the first five, it'd be a pity to stop now!

12 comments:

priest's wife - S.T./ Anne Boyd said...

Love these answers! isn't amazing what strangers will say?

Sandra said...

My other comment that drives me crazy is when people indicate that my husband certainly can not provide for me and my children (we ONLY have 4; at least that's how I see it) because he does not make $$$$$$$$$$$$$ if you get what I mean.

In my head my jaw drops at times that people will say certain things IN FRONT of the children...and what a coincidence Aubrey, mine speak and understand English very well too!! :) I'm always stressing to the boys how blessed we are to have 4 boys in our home and the fact is it really comes quite naturally (at least in our case) that our children WANT more siblings. People often ask, "How's Joachim adjusting to the baby?" and I laugh. He's adjusted great, but I truly believe it's because we include ALL our children in the care of our new baby...get a burp rag, give him a kiss, etc. all those things are ways to teach them so much.

Last night I asked Keith (I was in the kitchen and Keith was chatting with me a bit after he came from work) "where is Raphael at?" he's been moving a lot faster and if I can't see him right away I tend to wonder. Keith said, "I just saw him, his brother's were eating him" That was his way of saying they were giving him some boy lovin' :) cooing, singing, tickling...name it!

This is long...sorry!!! :)

Sarah said...

I love it!! Excellent answers for those rude, inquiring minds! Keep it up mama!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fullofgracex9 said...

Love these! Thanks for a couple of great new responses that we'll enjoy using! "Don't you know what causes that?" "Yes, and we're getting pretty good at it!" :)

kim said...

yep every time we leave the house.

when all the kids are in school and i just have the 2 i notice how nice everyone is to me. Like i am actually a normal human then...but when i have them all i rarely get nice comments.

you have good comebacks but i usually say nothing. i can't think of anything to say to them and just get upset inside and walk away.

i usually get, are you done yet? well i have no idea if i am done yet. i am not in charge if i get pg or not, God is.

Sarah said...

It is so sad that we have to think of things to say....I want to be as charitable as possible but man it is hard....it's even worse when it is your extended family that makes the comments. Nice.

Gina said...

Have as many as God gives you. You're an inspiration!

Megan said...

I just found your blog through St. Blog's Parish, and I loved your answers to this list!
We only have two so far, but I hope we are blessed to able to add to that number! :) Children are such a blessing!

Jennifer said...

I love these Aubrey! They are hilarious. I'll have to steal these. If only people saw children for the blessing that they are!

Wife of a Soldier said...

LOVE it! I am going to have to print this and memorize some of these answers ;) I ALWAYS get the "your hands are full" comments. I just say "Yes! It's much better than having them be empty!"

I have yet to come up with a sassy response to those who ask me when I'm due. Dude, I have 4 kids, 3.5yrs apart. Things DO NOT go back to the way they were for a long time if ever! If you have any ideas for me, lemme hear 'em! ;)

Colleen said...

I wish I could think of these responses on the spot :) Usually I just smile and turn red. I don't know why people can be so rude to moms of many when we would never rudely inquire why they only have one child. I automatically assume they must have had trouble conceiving more babies, and wouldn't dare ask about it. I guess moms of many are taught to be polite :)