Thursday, October 21, 2010

Help Me Pin Point It

Then come to our house concert tonight, featuring Sarah Sample.

::

I've seen this symbol on some toys for as long as I've had kids.  By looking at it, I can see that it means for me to not throw the toy away.  But why?  Clearly, the toys that shouldn't be thrown away have batteries.  So don't throw it away because one can replace the batteries and reuse the toy?  Don't throw it away because we should give it away?  (At the time I was wondering about this, I did not realize that batteries are not to be thrown away with regular trash.)

I don't consider myself exceptionally intelligent, but I'd like to think I'm somewhat smart.  I know, at least, that I can read English.  So why do we have to resort to symbols to tell me what to do or not do with a toy?  Why can't they tell me, "Don't throw it away because...."  Because I've tossed these toys, irritated that no one will give me a reason.

So how sad is this?  The other day, I pick up a toy, turn it over, see this symbol, and feel irritated all over again.  Then I look below it and see the symbol Pb.  Oh!  It takes me 0.75 seconds to recall one of the more common symbols from the Table of Elements ... Lead.  Yes, Yours Truly has taken high school chemistry and two levels of college chemistry, along with a handful of upper level hard-core science classes.

I can't pinpoint why this seems ironic to me.  Perhaps because they print a picture instruction--presumably for someone who can't read, or who can't read English--but explain it with a symbol from the Table of Elements that this same person--who can't read--should be able to understand?  Help me understand this, please.

6 comments:

kim said...

hmmm i guess it means lead universally then...like in any language they would know it means lead kind of like a math symbol?

I guess they have to mark the toys somehow. But why would a toy have lead in it these days anyway when its so taboo?

Colleen said...

They probably have to disclose there is lead in it, but are doing it as sneakily as possible. Because peeps like me would think that Pb means peanut butter :)

Staci said...

I second Kim's comment that the periodic table is universal, so no matter what language you can read, if you know your elements you'll get that one right. However, you'd have to know your elements, which is assuming a lot. And I also can't understand how a company could admit to lead in a toy and still sell it. Are you sure it isn't a warning that the toy might contain peanut butter, and therefore be a risk to children with peanut allergies? :)

JR said...

Lead and other heavy metals were common in electronics and circuit boards (i.e. lead solder). It has become less common in the past few years and places like the EU it has been restricted since 2006 with the "Restriction of Hazardous Substances" directive, commonly referred to as RoHS which you will see on electronics packaging. I would not expect a toy like this to be unsafe unless you are letting your kids eat the batteries or chomp on the bare circuit board. We try to discourage both in our house, but hey, it happens some times. The real question is, if you can't throw it away what are you supposed to do with it? I doubt many actually get disposed of properly, whatever that means. I don't know, I'm a software guy.

Diane said...

And why, if it's not okay to throw it away in the garbage, is it okay to give it to your child to play with (chew, suck, knaw, drool, and bite on)???

Have a great time with the concert! I wish I was there!!

Smiler #1 said...

I have to admit that I've thought the exact same thing! Aren't pictures supposed to help MORE people understand?