If teenagers are educated in birth control methods, all that teachers are handing them is a false sense of security. If we tell teenagers that abstinence is a good idea but then turn around and say, "but if you must have sex, use a con.dom...." we are telling them that we know they don't really have the self-control and why bother? Oh, we know the hormones are raging and that these adolescents are in luuuuuv. Whatever. Keep your knees together.
Adolescents must. be. taught. self. control. MUST. Self control is a necessary skill which must be taught starting at the age of two. Do I tell my son not to hit his brother, and then say, "but if you do, hit him on the bottom, because it won't hurt him as much." Do we potty train a child and then when he's four, put him in Pull-Ups for his first day of school, just in case? Do we give an adolescent $40 to go buy a pair of jeans and hand them a credit card, just in case? Do we tell the kids not to drink alcohol and then keep beer in the fridge just in case they have their friends over one night? Why not? They're at home, after all. What could possibly happen?
We EXPECT self control from every member of society, in every aspect of life. We expect people to show up for work every day, expect them to take care of their children, expect them to be productive members of society (well, conservatives expect this, anyway). We expect spouses to be faithful to each other, we expect people to not kill someone who made them mad. We expect people not to steal, not to destroy property, and not to punch the mouthy guy in the face. Abstinence is a huge step in developing self control.
An aside: if a Catholic couple remain abstinent through their dating years, then the periodic abstinence required to postpone a pregnancy (NFP) is not a problem, not a big deal, not a stress. Been there, done that.
Imagine a world where every person has sex with only the person to whom they are married. STDs would be wiped out within a generation. Liberals keep touting the great con.dom as the solution for the AIDS epidemic. You know what? I've got a fool-proof solution to the AIDS epidemic. Stop having sex with everything that walks. If all people would keep their pants zipped until they were in a monogamous marriage, HIV would die out on its own, without any help from the almighty con.dom.
Parents need to control their children--even adolescents--and stop enabling them. If my teenage daughter asks to be put on the pill, I will take away her car, her right to privacy, her bathroom door, her freedom, her bedroom door, start homeschooling, and have padlocks installed on all windows and outer doors. I care about her that much. My children will be taught that we expect them to remain abstinent until they are married. They have the self-control. I'm working on the development of it right now, as they are 8, 7, 6, and 3. (The 7 month old is an exception.) See? I won't need those padlocks, because I am teaching them self control now
I am sick and tired of Americans feeling ENTITLED to an easy life, an easy solution, an easy way out. LIFE IS NOT EASY. Deal with it. Kids, keep your dates vertical. Develop self control!
8 comments:
Self-control, agreed! It doesn't mean that they are unaware of what's out there, but it does mean that they are taught that abstinence IS possible (even as a teenager in love) and that it is the only 100% effective way to prevent pregnancy and life altering (and threatening) STDS.
Wonderful analogy with the hitting on the bottom. I think what I wish teenagers could realize is that the only way to be TRULY happy is to be abstinant until marriage. They get eternal happiness and instant gratification mixed up. How blessed am I to know my husband waited until we shared a last name to share a bed. Now that's true love :)
i chuckled a bit at the if your dd wants birth control part and you padlocking her up.
my dd and I share the same blood disorder. If she takes any form of birth control since almost every one that I know of causes blood clots and it could kill her.
The hitting analogy was awesome - I have to remember that one for conversation. And I have this imagine of you doing exactly all those things to one of your daughters (hopefully it'll never happen!) and it brought tears to my eyes it was so funny. But exactly right. If we want love our children WELL, we need to give them so much more than the easy (and unreliable) way out.
AMEN!!! Seems like common sense doesn't it? We're stepping into the conversations about dating now too...at age 12, 10, 9, 7, so that they know what to expect: dating is reserved for an age when they show that level of responsibility and even then, there won't be any one-on-one dates. They are ok with that and by the time they're 16 or so, it won't really be a new concept.
There is too much baggage that can easily be avoided by practicing abstinence...no matter the age!!!
It is so nice to know that Tim and I aren't alone in our corner on so many things these days when it feels like the rest of the world seems to think that if you do whatever "feels" good must be the right thing and everything will be fine!
OK...this is your post, not mine, so I'll step down off my box now before my blood pressure rises! :)
YaHoO!! Yahoo for Aubrey! Yahoo for common sense!
(Sometimes don't you just wonder HOW there could be such a great chasm between people's heads and the right way of thinking?) ;)
Right on, Sista!! :) And we have self control BECAUSE we are NOT animals. When people talk about their physical "need" for intimacy... it makes me want to puke. Animals do not have self control and the ability to think through actions rationally... Humans do. We were created in the likeness and image of God for pete's sake!
Thank you for putting this out there and letting me say, "AMEN!!"
Post a Comment