Saturday, October 23, 2010

House Concert: Sarah Sample


Our home was blessed with the presence of a very talented musician Thursday night.   
Sarah Sample came to perform! 
The concert began: Sarah Sample played in our family room.

::



Have you ever been to a house concert?  Having Sarah in my own home last year (along with Ryan Tanner and Paul Jacobsen) was my first experience with a house concert although I knew about them in my childhood, as a former neighbor is a folk artist.  
:: :: :: :: :: ::
What is a house concert?  Simply, it is a concert at a house.  There are many ways to do it, but this is our story: We agreed several months ago--via e-mail communication--to host a concert for Sarah.  We spread the word; we invited many people and about 30 were able to attend.  Beginning a couple of days before the show, we cleaned our home and moved almost all of the furniture out of our family room and kitchen.  We borrowed chairs, set them up, and I prepared appetizers and soft drinks for our guests.  We set out a basket, with the request that attendees donate $10-15, which is all given to Sarah. After most of our guests had arrived, we ushered them into the family room.  Sarah performed for a little over an hour, then everyone had time for visiting, buying CDs, meeting people, mingling with one another, talking with Sarah, and also enjoying food and drink. 
::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::
The first time I saw Sarah perform, it was the summer of 2006.  I was on a vacation all by myself in Salida, Colorado.  I was staying with my sister Jessica, who told me that there was live music at Bongo Billy's, just down the street from where she lived.  I arrived late, slipped into the room, ordered a coffee, and found a back table.  I remember pulling out my purse to write down a phrase in a song Sarah had just sung, Sinking Into Sweetness.  I also remember her singing Count the Colors and Mrs. Sample, but I do not recall the whole setlist.  I went to my car and began to drive back to Jessica's house, but I turned around halfway and came back.  Sarah and her sister Kate Graves were loading their things into Sarah's car when I stopped to meet her and asked to buy a CD.  They were friendly and visited with me for awhile.  I found out that Sarah was working on a degree in music therapy (she has since graduated).  I listened to Sarah's CD Rotate, all 10 hours back to Nebraska.  When at home, I checked her website and signed up for her e-mailing list.  When her second album, Never Close Enough, was released, I ordered it.  Noah--three at the time--was pleased as punch to hear his name in her music, looked up at me, and whispered in awe, "Mama, she knows my name!"  When Born to Fly was released, I downloaded it on iTunes.  
::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::
At around that time, Sarah sent an e-mail out to her mailing list, detailing her Birds of a Feather tour.  She asked if anyone in Nebraska would be able to host a house concert and I e-mailed her for details.  She gave an explanation of what a house concert is, and I told her that we would be happy to host her.  That was November of 2009.  This year, when she replied to an e-mail that I sent to her, she asked if we would be willing to host her again and I said that we would be happy to have her.  The rest is now history ... until next year!
Music
Sarah recently released a new album titled Someday, Someday.

::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::
What is it about Sarah's music that made me come back, that night in Colorado?  Some of it is ethereal--delicate and refined--especially when she plays solo.  Her music is easy to listen to, pleasurable, light and soft.  Other songs are hardy and exciting.  Yet others are full of longing, awakening in me memories of mountains and a river, quiet coffee shops, and roseate ambiance.  She writes all of her own music, something that I place a high value on, when I give my ear to a musician.  There is no anger, no politics, just stories written into songs sung by a beautiful young woman--with the sweetest, clearest voice--who loves what she does.  It keeps me coming back for more!
In the front room: Renee and Sarah, as Sarah signs CDs
Sarah and me
Me, Sarah, and Laura (thanks to Laura for these last several pictures)
In the front room, Laura and I sat with our babies Maria and Gabriel.  Laura's drive was long and we appreciated her presence here!  Laura and I have been what one might call blogger buddies for awhile.  This is the first time I've met her, and what a pleasure it was!  Her blog is private, but I will link to it HERE, in case you are given permission to read it.  Laura, you are so sweet; I really enjoyed visiting with you!  Hope we have the chance again soon!  Everyone cheer Laura on, as she and her beautiful family head toward spring, when her husband will be deployed for a year!
I believe that Laura took this picture of Sarah; Sarah is always smiling!
Sarah set her wares on the table; many people bought CDs.  
She gave us the gift of a copy of her newest CD, for which I am very grateful
::  ::  ::  ::  ::  :: 
One person who attended the show said that they would request a 'favorites' list from me and download via iTunes.  My absolute favorites (I say absolute because really, I like all of her music) are: Sinking Into Sweetness, Overflowing, Born to Fly, Mercy Me, Good Life, Noah, Mrs. Sample, Oh Hush Thee My Baby, Count the Colors, Everytime I Go, and Calling Your Name. 
 
Thank you, Sarah, for coming to our home to share your wonderful music and your amazing talent!

::  ::  ::  ::  ::  :: 
Check out Sarah these ways:
1. Begin at her WEBSITE.
2. Check her out on FACEBOOK.
3. Visit her music BLOG.
4. Look for her on iTUNES.
5.  See what Renee had to say.
6.  See what Laura had to say.
7.  Cjane also hosted a house concert for her.
::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::
Compliments Sarah received after the show, offered to us by people who attended:
"Aubrey and Jeremy, It was wonderful to share in the celebration of a gifted artist, Sarah Sample, in your home last evening.  Thank you again for the invitation.  It was delightful to meet everyone, too.  I had such an enjoyable evening!  I will continue to appreciate Sarah's talent when I listen to her CDs...."
::
"You and Jeremy are awesome hosts! Sarah Sample rocks the party and meeting Jeremy's Mom was an unexpected treat. What a great night. I feel like a squirrel buying her c.d.s - storing feelings for the winter!" 
::
"Thanks again Aubrey! I had a wonderful time and look forward to the next!!!"
::
"How did you get such a talented artist to come perform in your house!?" 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aubrey,
I am a friend of Renee's and was at the concert. I didn't have a chance to talk to you before I left but wanted to thank you for hosting this. I had a wonderful time and it is always great to be introduced to new musicians. Thanks Again,

Andee Harter

Wife of a Soldier said...

It really was a wonderful time, Aubrey! :) You are so sweet! I *wish* I had taken that picture of Sarah smiling, but alas, I didn't. It's beautiful though! As an aside, if people want to be added as readers to my blog they just need to email me at ablessedlifex5@gmail.com :)

Kristi said...

Aubrey, I'm so sad that we couldn't make it for your home concert. It looked like a wonderful time, I hope you do it again so I can come :) Your home looked beautiufl, I liked how you put up white lights everywhere!

Colleen said...

Just another reason to move into your neighborhood :) This looked like a lot of fun, and cozy too. Your family room looked great!