Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I Am God's 3 Year Old

The terrible threes are driving me NUTS, people.  It's not Isaiah in particular, it's just that he happens to be three, and a boy.   When I think about my love for my own children, it reminds me of the love that God has for us.  It is easier for me to understand God's ways now that I have children.  I know their weaknesses, I know their strengths, and sometimes I know what they're going to do before they do.  I also know what's best for them, we have house rules, and I'm quick to forgive because I understand that they are only children. 

Morgan and I were conversing the other night and she asked me if I remembered a particular incident for which she had been punished.  I said that I did not.  I told her that once she apologized, I forgave her and forgot what it is that she had done.  She looked at me and said, "Does God do that, too?"  I said that He did. 

Heaven help me, I actually sit in the pew and have to fight back laughter when I hear the story of Adam and Eve in the garden.  I know that original sin is not funny, but the back-and-forth thing between Adam and Eve sounds just like a couple of three year olds tattling and bickering. 

Genesis 3:1-23 (in my irreverent words, not the Holy Spirit's)
Eve fell for the serpent's lies because it sounded like a good idea, ate the fruit, gave some to Adam.  The dummy accepted it and ate it too.  God came looking for them because He thought it was too quiet in the garden.  They ran and hid because they knew they were in trouble.  God called them and they knew they couldn't hide anymore because He would find them eventually.  They told Him they hid because they were embarrassed.  God knew then that they had eaten of the fruit of the forbidden tree.  God asked Eve, "Why on earth did you do that?"  Eve pointed at the snake and said, "He tricked me!"  The snake shrugged his shoulders and God rolled his eyes.  God asked Adam, "What were you thinking?"  Adam pointed to Eve and said, "she told me to!"  God was exasperated and said "GET OUT!" 

When I tell Isaiah no and he throws himself on the ground crying, I stare at him and think that's what God must feel like with me sometimes.  When I tell Isaiah no candy and he pulls up a chair, climbs up on the counter, and gets it anyway, I send him to the naughty chair and think that's what God must feel like with me sometimes.  When Isaiah cuts holes in my drapes, sheets, and blankets with scissors that he's not supposed to have, I spank him, put him in time out, and think that's what God must feel like with me sometimes. 

The thing is, I don't stay angry with Isaiah.  There is nothing he could do that would keep me from loving him.  There is nothing he could do that I wouldn't forgive.  There is no way that I would abandon him at this time when he is learning to control his emotions, growing, and changing, and needs me the most.  I made him, I love him unconditionally, and in spite of the fact that he drives me nuts, I go and check on him before I go to bed, bury my nose in his hair, stroke his cheeks, and marvel at the wonder that he is.

Such are the ways of God, our Heavenly Father.

4 comments:

Staci said...

I love it. Well said.

stephanie said...

I love the things we learn from our kids...and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only mom who has cut up curtains and sheets.

Lisa said...

Teehee! Love the retell of Adam and Eve! (I think that's how it must really have been...) And, it's so true what you say -- understanding God's love for us by understanding our love for our children. I pray that I'm mindfully like Our Heavenly Father and *really* forget when I forgive, and *really* recall my own weakness when I'm stumbling over the evidence of my children's... =sigh= Recollection is difficult, but worth it in the long run. I want to judged so that I'll be mercifully judged... because I think I'm worse than my toddlers ever were in the big picture.

Great post!

Lerin said...

After 4 children, I don't believe in terrible two's. Terrible trees, though... woo, boy. That is ver yreal.

I think Isaiah and Ben-Ben are in the same challenging stage. HA!