Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Lenten Abstinence

I'm considering semi-abstinence from the computer for Lent.  My friend Lindsay wrote a wonderful post that has got me thinking.  I do spend more time at the computer than I should.  It's in the family room, so it's right there, convenient to access and hard to resist. 

While Lindsay is prepared to avoid all things internet for Lent, I know that I cannot do the same.  E-mail has become a primary form of communication for me.  My family and friends and I use this medium to exchange ideas, make plans, and keep up with one another.

Although I cannot give up e-mail entirely, I could easily--and temporarily--give up Facebook, blogging, and random searches that take up time I could be spending with my children or doing laundry.  Maybe giving up the internet for Lent would help me to become more disciplined.

I think that I will set times--8:00, 2:00, 9:00, for example--to check e-mail and set a timer to do it so that I cannot become absorbed in what's on my screen.  I think that throughout the day, I will make a list of things that I want to search, learn about, or look at on the internet and save it for a specific time of day and again, do it with a timer. 

Many of you have done this.  What are your thoughts?

7 comments:

kim said...

I think its a good idea.

setting priorities in order is a good thing.

For myself--i never started facebooking or twittering etc in the first place since it seemed like a time sucker but i love blogging for recording my family events etc...

but i think that it can be a "missionary" thing to make comments on others blogs etc because sometimes ppl live in remote places and have limited friends etc and a small word can make their day and cheer them up. I have gotten a few email's in the last month from ppl that emailed me saying that a kind comment really helped them get through a tough time etc..so i think it can be used for Christ's work. just limit your time.

Aubrey said...

Kim, I agree completely. I know that comments on blog posts are a boost for me to get through the day. Even though my children are a joy and I love my life, I still need words, communications from others (grown ups) to keep on keepin' on. Since I stay at home with my kids, the internet is a wonderful tool for communication, especially during the winter. E-mails, blog comments, reading others' blogs, all of those things help me feel like part of a greater community. In spite of this, I do know that I need to limit my computer time, or at least the number of times that I come to the computer to check this or that. :) That said, I do appreciate how often you comment! It's nice to "hear" your voice.

Alishia said...

I gave up Facebook last year. It was lovely. Then when I got back on again it was sporadic. I set my newsfeed to only include people that were edifying. I think I'll do it again.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lindsay and you that stepping away from excess computer time is a must for this Lent (and all of life?). I'm like you in that I couldn't be completely internet-free - the blogging allows me to really feel connected in a way that I can't because the rest of my time is at home with the kids, typically. It is a social and Catholic motherhood refresher. That said, I know I spend too much time at the computer in comparison to my time in prayer and with the family. I'm glad that you both bring this up - so much to think about and just the right amount of time before Lent starts to make up a game plan that will bless the whole family and give God the 1st place priority that He deserves. Thanks, Aubrey. You rock!

Mom P said...

I went to a time management class and one thing they did stress was to check emails, etc a specific time each day. Many people let their phone, etc beep when a message comes in. This makes you feel you need to check it right then. I think it's good to stay connected. One thing might be to put a sheet of paper by your computer and put down the time when you begin and finish each time. It will make you realize just how much time is spent on the computer. There are just so many thing done on the computer from organizing pictures to planning get togethers.

Aimee said...

I usually limit my computer access in some way during Lent. It's so easy to let the computer become a real distraction from my vocation. I don't ever leave it completely since, like you, my family/friends correspond primarily through email, but I do set time limits and one year I closed the comments on the blog. I'm usually not on Facebook enough to make it a problem, but if I find that changing that's another place I can cut down. A friend of mine stayed off of FB through Lent last year, only logging on on Sundays. She found it to be very good to her interior life. Good luck deciding on what to do!

Jordana said...

Last year I gave up the internet during the day and only allowed myself computer time after the kids were in bed. It was hard at first, but a definite blessing to force myself to break away from my computer and spend more time on the things I had been ignoring.