I prefer the English. I love hearing and understanding the prayers the Priest is saying. I also think the English would be best for kids so they understand what is being said also. I just feel I participate more fully knowing what is being said. The Catholic Radio station today said one of the main reasons the Catholic Church got away from Latin is because the Priest would rush through the Mass with Latin. A Latin Mass could be said in less than 20 minutes.
i atually like latin masses. but to me a mass is a mass. I will go any which way. In CA i would attend Spainish masses sometimes too...lol.
I don't feel any one is "right". AS long as it follows the form correctly. I do not like masses that some priests skip over parts or omit words-- otherwise, not vaild masses.
Funny, Mom P, about the comment regarding the speed of a Latin Mass in misuse years ago. I'm a Latin Mass attendee for 12 years now and love it with all my heart. Rarely do I have a need to attend a Novus Ordo Mass. But last Sunday was one of those needy ones...
The Novus Ordo Mass on Sunday started at 7am. The priest was actually saying the GOSPEL at 7:05am. No joke.
It made me long for a choir singing the Kyrie... the Asperges... a liturgy known to mankind of the highest sacrality....
What Meg said. God bless the folks at the Catholic Radio Station -- but I can't imagine they've ever been to a Tridentine Mass... and I wonder where they got that interesting little tidbit. Seems like a very, very odd "explanation" to me of the Vat II decisions to change to the vernacular (You wanna talk about a very complicated and politically charged event in the history of our Church, do some research on that!) For starters, any Mass can be "rushed" through, occasionally and sadly by priests less than -- um, devout -- but sometimes for good reason -- like in wartime, when it is possible to omit everything but the key of the Canon due to dire situation -- but I truly cannot conceive of the Latin Rite offered in twenty minutes. NEVER seen it and I've been attending the Tridentine Mass for more than thirty years. On the contrary, the very Latin itself lends a gravity which realizes in a slower, more purposeful form.
Also, my children know nothing but the Latin rite (something for which I do not apologize) and know exactly what's going on in the Mass. This is a function of how well the child is taught -- no matter what Mass you attend. Our youngins do not speak Latin, though they know more than your average Joe -- but know very well how to follow their Latin/English missals -- and have studied the sacred meaning of the rubrics and prayers. And, needless to say, the sermons are not in Latin -- nor is any of their religious instruction.
Interesting discussion, Aubrey. You sure know how to hit the hot buttons. :)
Ok. I honestly had to give myself a minute to reign in emotions on a topic I rarely discuss but is very near to my heart.
I was raised with the NO. The parish I grew up in kept becoming more and more secular until they started using pita bread for communion. My family held raised hands during the Our Father and I would go up on the altar with all the other young children during consecration. Sure I understood the words, but did I truly understand the Mass? No.
My family felt richer "soil" was necessary for our family's growth in the faith. We changed parishes and parochial schools. The fruits that parish tree bore were bad as well. So my parents did a lot of soul searching, prayerful discussion and finally announced we were going to make the hour drive to a super early Mass in Washington DC. Oh, and it was going to be in Latin.
The first time we went it was exactly that - in another language. But we persevered - we each got a missal, marked where to turn to for the readings, etc. and through faithful attendance, learned when to sit and stand and kneel. When to sing at a high Mass with the choir.
In the beginning, my Mom told us it was ok to read either the Latin or the English side of the missal. Before long,we were able to read the Latin side and *understand* it. My parents practiced the latin prayers at home with us to help us in our understanding.
The faith in our family blossomed. Not only that, we learned a great deal more about the Mass due to all the beautiful prayers, indulgences, and information given in the Latin missal, which was used as a teaching tool, not just a guide to the Mass.
To say that NO rite is more understandable in English (regardless of age) really only means you unfortunately haven't been properly instructed in this rite. It would be like saying you prefer a book to music CD simply because you don't know how to make it play. There are benefits to both NO and Latin Rite. But I feel it is important to make educated decisions meaning, having a true understanding of both "sides" and making the best decision.
I myself attend NO mass with my childre. If there was any way of going to a Latin Mass in a reasonable distance, I would do that as well so they are able to experience and learn that richness of faith.
In short, I agree with Lisa and Meg. There is NO way a true Latin Mass can be said in 20mins. Quite honestly, if you pick up a Latin missal, you'll notice an overwhleming amount of prayers NOT said in the NO rite. There's no way a priest can get through all the prayers in 20mins. While Catholic radio in general is a good thing, it's also good to check sources and not believe everything you hear ;)
6 comments:
I prefer the English. I love hearing and understanding the prayers the Priest is saying. I also think the English would be best for kids so they understand what is being said also. I just feel I participate more fully knowing what is being said. The Catholic Radio station today said one of the main reasons the Catholic Church got away from Latin is because the Priest would rush through the Mass with Latin. A Latin Mass could be said in less than 20 minutes.
i atually like latin masses. but to me a mass is a mass. I will go any which way. In CA i would attend Spainish masses sometimes too...lol.
I don't feel any one is "right". AS long as it follows the form correctly. I do not like masses that some priests skip over parts or omit words-- otherwise, not vaild masses.
Funny, Mom P, about the comment regarding the speed of a Latin Mass in misuse years ago. I'm a Latin Mass attendee for 12 years now and love it with all my heart. Rarely do I have a need to attend a Novus Ordo Mass. But last Sunday was one of those needy ones...
The Novus Ordo Mass on Sunday started at 7am. The priest was actually saying the GOSPEL at 7:05am. No joke.
It made me long for a choir singing the Kyrie... the Asperges... a liturgy known to mankind of the highest sacrality....
What Meg said. God bless the folks at the Catholic Radio Station -- but I can't imagine they've ever been to a Tridentine Mass... and I wonder where they got that interesting little tidbit. Seems like a very, very odd "explanation" to me of the Vat II decisions to change to the vernacular (You wanna talk about a very complicated and politically charged event in the history of our Church, do some research on that!) For starters, any Mass can be "rushed" through, occasionally and sadly by priests less than -- um, devout -- but sometimes for good reason -- like in wartime, when it is possible to omit everything but the key of the Canon due to dire situation -- but I truly cannot conceive of the Latin Rite offered in twenty minutes. NEVER seen it and I've been attending the Tridentine Mass for more than thirty years. On the contrary, the very Latin itself lends a gravity which realizes in a slower, more purposeful form.
Also, my children know nothing but the Latin rite (something for which I do not apologize) and know exactly what's going on in the Mass. This is a function of how well the child is taught -- no matter what Mass you attend. Our youngins do not speak Latin, though they know more than your average Joe -- but know very well how to follow their Latin/English missals -- and have studied the sacred meaning of the rubrics and prayers. And, needless to say, the sermons are not in Latin -- nor is any of their religious instruction.
Interesting discussion, Aubrey. You sure know how to hit the hot buttons. :)
Ok. I honestly had to give myself a minute to reign in emotions on a topic I rarely discuss but is very near to my heart.
I was raised with the NO. The parish I grew up in kept becoming more and more secular until they started using pita bread for communion. My family held raised hands during the Our Father and I would go up on the altar with all the other young children during consecration. Sure I understood the words, but did I truly understand the Mass? No.
My family felt richer "soil" was necessary for our family's growth in the faith. We changed parishes and parochial schools. The fruits that parish tree bore were bad as well. So my parents did a lot of soul searching, prayerful discussion and finally announced we were going to make the hour drive to a super early Mass in Washington DC. Oh, and it was going to be in Latin.
The first time we went it was exactly that - in another language. But we persevered - we each got a missal, marked where to turn to for the readings, etc. and through faithful attendance, learned when to sit and stand and kneel. When to sing at a high Mass with the choir.
In the beginning, my Mom told us it was ok to read either the Latin or the English side of the missal. Before long,we were able to read the Latin side and *understand* it. My parents practiced the latin prayers at home with us to help us in our understanding.
The faith in our family blossomed. Not only that, we learned a great deal more about the Mass due to all the beautiful prayers, indulgences, and information given in the Latin missal, which was used as a teaching tool, not just a guide to the Mass.
To say that NO rite is more understandable in English (regardless of age) really only means you unfortunately haven't been properly instructed in this rite. It would be like saying you prefer a book to music CD simply because you don't know how to make it play. There are benefits to both NO and Latin Rite. But I feel it is important to make educated decisions meaning, having a true understanding of both "sides" and making the best decision.
I myself attend NO mass with my childre. If there was any way of going to a Latin Mass in a reasonable distance, I would do that as well so they are able to experience and learn that richness of faith.
In short, I agree with Lisa and Meg. There is NO way a true Latin Mass can be said in 20mins. Quite honestly, if you pick up a Latin missal, you'll notice an overwhleming amount of prayers NOT said in the NO rite. There's no way a priest can get through all the prayers in 20mins. While Catholic radio in general is a good thing, it's also good to check sources and not believe everything you hear ;)
I guess my preference is a well celebrated N.O. with the ordinary and perhaps the propers chanted in Latin.
Post a Comment