Thursday, October 8, 2009

Quick Takes Friday Volume 15


---1---
Oh, boy! Where the Wild Things Are has been made into a movie! We have this book in our house in three languages: Czech, French, and English, and I just found a Spanish version that I'll buy soon. Go HERE to see the preview.

---2---
Just in case you actually think that my house stays clean all of the time, here's what happens when I let the boys do their thing while helping Madeleine with her homework. Note the assortment of railroad tracks, barn animals, cars, blankets, cords, Bendaroos, paper, crayons, and other odds and ends. Apparently we do have tornadoes in Nebraska in October. You should have seen what happened with oatmeal when I took a shower this morning.

---3---
I found this tag hanging on my Pella brand door behind the Pella brand screen door between two Pella windows. Are you sure we should replace our five year old Pella windows with new Pella windows? Really? Were you paying attention when you hung that tag?

---4---
LG fixed and returned our DVD recorder-player. It's official: you can buy LG products again. Be aware that it cost us $69 to repair a $250 machine that broke after one year of use through no fault of our own. LG phones, however, are amazing. One survived both the Permanent Press (washing machine) AND a dunk in the toilet.

---5---
Gabriel, Noah, and Clare (Noah and two of his cousins) dressed up as the Holy Family for our Church Picnic: Joseph, Jesus, and Mary.
---6---
When in Des Moines, Jeremy and I visited an art gallery/store called Sticks. I'm not crazy about art. I appreciate it but I don't enjoy it. This was different! The objects in the store are functional--mostly furniture--and beautiful. They are hand carved, hand painted, amazing heirloom quality pieces. They are also very expensive. Use THIS LINK to browse their website. Take a peek at their products; the home page doesn't do it justice. If I won the lottery, I'd bring a U-Haul to Des Moines to shop! It was a pleasure just to be in the store. I was able to use the picture of this table but there are things available which are just as amazing if not more so.

---7---
Our children's museum has this pin screen. It is so awesome! Noah made his head imprint over and over on the center panel, Isaiah made his on the right side. I like to pretend that there are no germs on the pin screen when my kids do this.

:::

:::

Visit Jen over at Conversion Diary if you like. She will not be hosting Quick Takes this week.

6 comments:

Diane said...

Very funny quick takes! I can especially relate to the messy boys and the denial of the existence of germs! :)

elm said...

The pin screen was "out" for repairs or cleaning or something when we visited in June... I was sooooo bummed! I, too, pretended that there were no germs there and that some volunteer came by with lysol spray about every 10 minutes. Nice dream anyway!

Thanks for the pictures of your boys' mess... except - it is at least contained to one rug... in one room... and not covering every piece of your furniture... Tornado? Maybe, but more likely a wind storm!! We are cleaning up our version of a "hurricane" here at our home... we are close close close!! I promised a day of "electronic fun" tomorrow (we school 4 days a week and do other things on the "off" day) if everyone's things were put away. The kids magically found the energy to put away 95% of their things before bed today! It ought to be 20 minutes in the morning until they can watch cartoons (a HUGE rarity in our house), play computer without rules of 30 minutes only for the whole day (which again, is rare - they play on the computer maybe once a week), watch a movie at lunch... whatever. I just didn't want to nag anymore, but knew that a prize like that might be incentive enough!!! I can see my carpets... I had forgotten what they looked like! OH - and I get to sew tomorrow!! That is my "electronic fun"!!!!!!!!!

kim said...

my kids make huge messes all day too.

although i love the storyline of little max, i hate those pictures! Too scary. I had nightmares from those pictures as a child...lol.

KimK said...

The Pella folks hanging their advert on your lovely Pella door is too, too funny.

And I believe that germs can't live on pins -- too pointy. ;)

Mom P said...

Take it from grandma, toys spread around are not messes. That's creative genius at work. Three day old spilled milk is a mess.

Colleen said...

Love all the pictures with each quick take. So you're dressing your son up as Jesus, huh? A little presumptious, don't ya think? ;)