Monday, September 20, 2010

The Simple Woman's Daybook Volume 44


Outside my window, it's dark and quiet.  It's warm and a little muggy.  We had the heat on last night and were pretty close to having to turn the A/C on this afternoon.  We opened up the house instead, hoping for cool air to enter while we sleep.  Welcome to Nebraska.

I am thinking about many tasks that I need to accomplish for the parish, for our family, and for the school.

I am thankful for the cool breeze across my face as I sit outdoors.

I am wearing knit capris, a nursing cami, and a beaded T-shirt.  I'm also wearing a bracelet that I switch from wrist to wrist, depending on which side I need to start Maria on the next time I nurse.  I don't switch sides during a feeding unless she complains that there's not enough.

Learning at school and at home: We went on a walk tonight to collect seeds for Morgan to bring in to her class for science.  We had fun collecting flower seeds, tree seeds, and we cut open a summer squash, a tomato, and an apple.  We collected acorns, pine cones, and honey locust seed pods.

I am remembering what it felt like to be a newlywed; it's what I dreamed about during my nap this afternoon.  We've been married for over 9 years but the novelty of being together 24/7 still hasn't worn off.  My favorite thing about being married is going to bed with my husband at night, regardless of whether we talk, read, cuddle, or go straight to sleep.  It's nice to have him with me all of the time.  That's what is different about being married rather than dating.  No one has to go home at the end of the night.

I am going to do some laundry, I think..

I am currently reading Reader's Digest and Discover.

I am hoping for a healthy winter for my family.

On my mind: Something Father Barnhill said last night when he was visiting.  He complimented me on the tablecloth and flowers I had on our family table.  He said that at a recent retreat, he'd given a talk on how the family table is much like the altar at church: sacred (the altar at church is sacred, obviously, but the family table is sacred to the family and its family time).  He meant that rather than piling laundry, mail, and other things on it, which results in lack of use, that it should be decorated, important, and ready to be used for gathering.  Good point, Father!  I agree!

One of my favorite things: Tuca Tuca perfume from LUSH!

Pondering these words: Isaiah was being 3 and pretending to burn his great-grandma with a green toy of his cousin's.  I frowned and said, "That's my grandma and I love her!  You can't burn her!"  (Everyone was laughing--this was not a naughty thing, just play.)  He looked at me, cocked his head, and said, "She is not dead."  It reminded me of the line from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves where Azeem says to Robin, "You whine like a mule.  You are still alive."

From the kitchen: I wish I knew.

Around the house: Jeremy is picking it up while I rest at the computer.  Lucky me!


Father Barnhill, the priest who prepared us for marriage 9+ years ago, Jeremy, and me on Sunday night
::

2 comments:

Staci said...

I love the table as family altar concept. Thanks for sharing.

I also like Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves... I haven't thought about that movie in a long time, but I used to know half the lines, at least, by heart.

Mom P said...

Jeremy, love the shirt. We are in Texas you. Football runs through their blood here, just like in Nebraska.