So I thought that Postpartum Depression was when Mom lost all will to live, cried 24 hours a day, and tried to do away with her children. Turns out that's quite extreme; it's possible to have a little bit of postpartum depression or a moderate amount of it. It's possible to suffer on the inside and appear normal in public!
Thank goodness a couple of my girlfriends were good enough to share their experiences with postpartum depression and the antidepressants they used to treat it.
Maria's birth was exhilarating. I remember being on cloud 9999 in the hospital, in spite of the pain, and still being on cloud 9999 my first few weeks at home. Then Maria started crying all of the time and the Percocet was gone. I descended from cloud 9999 to 9998 ... 9997 ... 9996 ... and so on, all the way down to 0 within a period of weeks.
I was ashamed of how I felt. I would look at Maria and not see this little person with whom I was so in love. I would see the only thing standing between me and a good night of sleep. That embarrassed me. I didn't like my other children, who were making too much noise and left their shoes all over the floor and needed things. I didn't like my wonderful husband who wanted to talk to me once in awhile and asked me questions when he got home from work. I was horrified at the thought of anyone knowing the thoughts that were going through my head. I was sure that other people knew what I was thinking and I was sure that they were judging me and even talking about me when I wasn't there.
Why would I feel this way? I had so much to be thankful for. I would be so down in the dumps and would be flogging myself at the same time for not being grateful for everything that I had been given. I felt so angry all the time. I was paranoid that all but the best of my friends didn't like me anymore. I was uptight. It hit me that I was at cloud 0 when I laid in bed at night wishing that I could die in my sleep so I wouldn't have to get up and do it all over again.
After several weeks, I started to wonder if this was normal, if it was just sleep deprivation and fatigue and hormones that were pulling me down. I would start crying at 8 in the morning when I rolled out of bed and break into tears off and on during the day, then the minute I laid Maria down at night, I would crawl into the bathtub to soak and cry for another couple of hours. One morning, Noah came up to me and instead of a Good Morning! and a hug, I offered a stinging comment that made his lower lip tremble. It hit me at that moment that what I was feeling, what I was thinking, and how I was acting were not normal at all. I talked to Jeremy about it and he agreed but had been too afraid to say anything to me, lest he set me off.
So I caught a friend after Mass one Sunday and asked her if this is what she had gone through. She took the time to talk to me and said that it was and told me what she had done about it. The whole time we stood talking, I was swallowing, trying not to cry. Then she said, "I'll pray for you," and the tears started flowing as I jogged away toward the parking lot.
That Monday morning I packed Maria up and headed to the doctor's office. Our office offers early morning hours--if we get there between 7 and 8:30, we can get in to see the doctor with no appointment. I knew that my doctor was almost always the one in on Monday morning (as opposed to one of the other 3 doctors in his practice) and he was indeed there.
It felt like I was sitting in confession, telling him how awful I felt and trying not to cry. It was hard to tell him what I was really thinking and feeling, since I tried so hard to appear chipper all of the time. This man is the man who cares for my husband and me and our babies and who delivered all of our babies (and those of most of my good friends). He thinks about us (his patients) as "extra" daughters and many of us consider him a foster father, of sorts. He could tell when I was trailing off and looked at me with his forehead knitted in worry. He said, "let's do something about this," and began to write a prescription for an antidepressant. I began taking the medicine that night.
Almost immediately after the appointment, I felt elated because he had confirmed what I suspected--that I wasn't a rotten, awful person, that what I was suffering was a chemical imbalance that could (most likely) be remedied with a mild medication. As I continued to take the medication, I found that it was easier to be happy and to stay happy. The anger melted away, as did the paranoia and the sadness. I felt in control of my emotions. I felt as if I was coming out of a fog.
This was three months ago. Now I have the chance to remake myself. I am different now than I was three months ago, nine months ago, and even two years ago. In hindsight, I know that I should have gone to my doctor probably after Noah's birth, nearly six years ago, if not earlier. Many things that I've been thinking, saying, and doing since then would have been different, had I felt more normal. This antidepressant is no happy pill--I still have a tough day here and there. But it's easy for me to dismiss the little things that go wrong and get on with the day and even be cheerful at the end of it.
I share this with you not to seek sympathy or pity, but so that you (whomever you are) know that it's possible to be past the baby blues and into postpartum depression without being suicidal. Yep ... normal people go through it and with medication, can be back to feeling normal in a relatively short period of time. It's going to take guts to push PUBLISH POST, but I think I might do it.
14 comments:
Aubrey,
(((HUGS))) I wish I could give you one in person. You are so brave and honest and wonderful. I've actually been thinking about you and praying for you a lot because you don't post as much as you used to, and I'm not sure if you're reading blogs...I was wondering how you are doing, if you're just busy or having a tough time. I should have asked. I'm sorry, and I'm sorry you went through/are going through this.
Before I had kids, I always thought PPD was the way you described it at first. I couldn't understand why anyone could be depressed when they had a new baby!
Then I had my third...and I totally struggled with it. But I thought that since I "knew" I was depressed, I couldn't really be depressed. As if depressed people were so "out of it" that they wouldn't even know it.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone who suffers from PPD. They are wonderful moms who want to be happy and feel normal again. It makes total sense that after all the hormonal changes we go through to be pregnant, give birth, and nurse our babies, our own bodies get a little out of whack. Whatever we need to do to fix it should be done.
I am so happy you are feeling better. I really admire you as a wife and mother, and I'm so glad to be getting to know you even better :)
Sending a big hug your way, via cyberspace. I have been in your shoes, my friend, most especially after Fiver. I didn't want to hurt him, but I also didn't want to do anything for him. I was just so tired all the time - even after I had gotten a decent amount of sleep. I would cry because I thought I was messing up royally.
I know I'm preaching to the choir here . . . :)
I do think PPD is more common than we even know, because there are lots of women who struggle through without ever getting the help they need. You are brave to put this out there and I like you better for it! :)
Thanks for sharing. I know so many who have experienced PPD in a way similar to yours. It is not unusual, yet still has this mystery to it because we automatically feel shame for not feeling as we expect after the birth of our miracles.
Having struggled with depression long before I became a mother, I have been fortunate enough not to develop PPD after any of my children thus far have been born - but I am also on medication throughout my pregnancies at a reduced dose, and my doctor is very stern that the day that my baby is born that I ALWAYS go back to my normal dosage to avoid PPD if possible.
Many thanks and blessings to you for being so open with this and for being the wonderful mother that you are to care so very much!!
Oh Aubrey, I KNOW about this! I so, so, SO know about it! I finally sought help 5 or 6 months ago, after suffering terribly (and causing my family to suffer as well) since my last miscarriage over two years ago. I do believe the cause of the depression was at least partly hormonal. The medication has helped tremendously. I'm so happy that I swallowed my pride and asked for help. And I'm so happy that you did too. Thanks for being brave enough to share your experience with others. You've almost certainly saved someone a lot of heartache. And I know you've made at least one women feel less alone in her struggles.
God bless you, friend. You're a good very mama!
Here here...you know me...I think the time I finally accepted it was when I knew that it did not define me, that I had no control over it and I needed help...(wish my mom would have gotten help too)...the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree...God Bless my John!
(I just expect it to come now...John even asks!)
Prayers and hugs... I'd been wondering how you were doing!! Hope that this medication helps a lot and gets you on "the right track"!! Thanks for sharing... sometimes it isn't easy to share things so close to our hearts!
Thank you for your honesty and taking a leap of faith in publishing this post. I think it's very important that real moms be true and honest in sharing how real moms get through the day and press on in their mommyhood.
May your coming days and months be blessed as you move ahead.
It is helpful to know you're not alone. My husband made an appointment for me, found a babysitter and drove me in after Stephen was born. I was on it (still am) the whole time I was pregnant with Michaela and I finally know what it's like to really LOVE a baby.
glad you are feeling better. hugs to you.
My depression issues have always been while I am pregnant. But I think almost everyone must go through some sort of it somehow associated with their pregnancies. Good for you for getting help.
I think you are very aware that I've gone through it too. I am SO glad you've gotten help. You are most definitely NOT alone, and I think by talking about it, we help others who are still struggling and secretly worrying that they are just a rotten person deep down. I think that was the worst part... starting to believe I was just a terrible mom, wife, and Christian. Getting well and finding ME again has been so uplifting... I'm the same person I always was, only now I have a medicine to help free me from depression. <3
You are beautiful! That is all I have to say! Having babies is such spiritual warfare! Satan DOES NOT want this to happen so he will attack us. Please know how many of us have been there and I am sure most women have experienced this in some form or another. We are raising souls. It is not going to be easy. God Bless you my friend. Always here to talk.
Love,
Lindsay
I'm so sorry Aubrey. It is absolute hell to feel this way and have no one know about it. I'm so sorry. You are always inspiring to me by your joyful spirit and positive attitude. I had no idea. If I can ever help, I'd be glad to. Just know that you are an amazing wife, mother and friend.
Aubrey! You have me in tears. I had no idea you were struggling - but I am so glad things are going better. One of the questions I'm going to ask God in heaven is, "Hormones - why oh why????" !
Aubrey, I know it wasn't easy to publish this post but thank you opening your heart and sharing this. I love you so much and think you are a wonderful person and wonderful mother. I will keep you in my prayers. I am tired chasing after two...I often think of you and how you and Jeremy take care of five so gracefully. You truly have a beautiful family. I love you. CS
Post a Comment