Friday, August 13, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday Volume ??



1. The bible study to which I belong (really more of a Catholic women's group) consists of 30 women divided into 2 groups. Whenever one woman has a baby (this is often; there are 108 children among us), the other women sign up to deliver meals to her if they are able. There are new babies left and right. Two were born in the last couple of weeks, one is due next month, and more follow. I was a recipient of the gifts of many of these wonderful women. Robyn brought a meal the day after we got home from the hospital, these wonderful women continued to bring meals, and the last meal was brought when Maria was about six weeks old. For those six weeks, we received about 2-3 meals per week, each different (and each a corporal work of mercy for one of these amazing women, not all of whom have blogs for me to link to). I was so grateful; each meal brought was really the gift of rest for me. This enabled me to enjoy the baby more and heal quicker!

2. I recently told the women at bible study, while playing the game Loaded Questions, that I was not neurotic about anything. Other women listed things: hair on the floor, clean bathroom, clean fingernails, germs, etc., but I couldn't think of a thing. I've changed my mind. I am neurotic about the use of the great apostrophe. Here is the cardinal rule: APOSTROPHES ARE NOT USED TO MAKE WORDS PLURAL, EVER. EVER! Apostrophes ARE used in words that have been contracted--don't, it's, hasn't--AND words that are possessive--Jeremy's, Morgan's, the cat's, my grandma's, the car's. When a word needs to be plural AND possessive, it goes like this: The Smiths' car, The Joneses' house, the girls' bedroom, the employees' parking lot, the children's playroom, the neighbors' yard. Every time I see an apostrophe stuck randomly in a word to make it plural, I hear a little scream inside my head. So I'm definitely neurotic about apostrophes and I won't apologize for it.

3. Summer with the Saints
My friends Kristi and Jillian decided to plan a summer activity for our collective children. They were imitating another mom's brilliant idea called Summer With the Saints. They planned lessons, crafts, and snacks all tied into one Saint per week for 9 weeks. Our friend Kim was gracious enough to host these meetings in her amazing back yard. Morgan, Madeleine, and Noah attended. They were so excited about the saints, excited to be with their friends, and excited to have a planned activity during the summer. Thank you, thank you, thank you to Jillian, Kristi, and Kim! We are so grateful for your hard work! (Picture credit to Kristi)4. I painted our bedroom--I let Noah help--but I'm not sure I like it. The problem is, I'm too tired to do it again.

5. Just a few hours away, Kansas City makes a good day trip for us. There is the T-Rex Cafe, a LUSH store, and Cabela's. There's also Great Wolf Lodge, which just rocks my world, but we didn't do that this time. (Read:$$$$)
::
T-Rex exploration area Morgan works in the archaeologists' quarters Isaiah sticks his head in the mouth of the Triceratops that lives over by the table we ate at. This is what the kids did--repeatedly--while we waited for our food. Isaiah "digs" for fossils in the exploration area. Maria and me I helped each child make their purchase in the gift shop. Each of them used their own money, plus $5 that Jeremy and I gave to them as a surprise. Noah was rather pleased with his decision to buy an umbrella, something he has wanted for quite awhile. This is Madeleine the She-Rex.6. Maria is a good little Catholic already. I give her milk and she gives me 10% back. Some people call it spit up. I call it tithing.

7. Doodle Books rock. Check 'em out. I also found a few at Sam's Club.

6 comments:

Smith's Asian Adventure said...

Aubrey, you have been busy. Love all the pictures and adventures you have been on.

Jenn said...

Oh Aubrey, I can't stop laughing out loud about your "Maria tithing comment!!! So funny!!!

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

Staci said...

"Tithing" is awesome. Nice.

And I'm very impressed with Noah's umbrella choice. That's totally sensible but fun. Nice work! He's a good shopper.

kim said...

when i had just one baby i was in a mom's group like that. then we moved and i have never found anything similar. you are lucky!

i am sure i am an apostrophe abuser...lol sorry if i have offended in the past. gramatical errors are one of my faults...that and math.

like you i am really not neurotic about anything though

cute pics

Jamie Jo said...

I love how you explained Maria's spit up!!!! I'm going to have to use that one!!

Gosh, your Catholic ladies group sounds wonderful!

I host a Catholic women's book club during the school year and those women are amazing, when I broke my leg last year, they fed us for 6 weeks, every weeknight. It's so nice to see such wonderful Catholic women all across the country! We are lighting the world!

Jamie Jo said...

Oh, yeah, I forgot....You and your baby look so beautiful, with your beautiful blue eyes!

And...

I'm amazed that you got the room painted at all! (it's a pretty color) I've been planning on painting the living room and school room all summer and it just has not happened, it's taken me almost 2 weeks just to clean out the school room! Between the baby and the other 4, it's just so busy and hard to find the time! I'm trying to be ok with just finishing a little each day.