Monday, February 9, 2009
Geosciences Family Exhibit
We were treated to a Geosciences exhibit at a science museum on Saturday. It was family day and students had displays and demonstrations set up throughout the museum. This science lover had a lot of fun! I'll let the pictures tell the stories (captions below).
The kids watch a demonstration about air pressure and equilibrium. The students were heating pop cans with water in them and then turning them upside down in ice water; the pop cans would crush themselves. The beaker here has a balloon over the mouth. When the water inside of it was heated, the air inside would expand, filling up the balloon, and then the balloon would gradually deflate as the air cooled and contracted
This demonstration was of pressure build up and release. It is a geyser! It erupted every few minutes. Since it was taller than most of the adults, the kids weren't as interested in this as in the other exhibits.
Here Morgan is learning about hail and weather by experimenting with a blow dryer, a ping-pong ball, and a tube. The blow dryer balances the ping pong ball but when she puts the tube over the ball, it SHOOTS up into the air. She had fun with this!
Each of the children built a hailstone with play dough. They started with a small ball which they wrapped in a different colored layer and then another. After they had the third layer sealed, the student would slice the ball in half with dental floss to reveal its inner layers (pictured below). The look on the kids' faces when they saw the result was great! They were so surprised!
Morgan studies a puzzle in the kids' area. The bag on the table in front of her holds the hailstone that she made.
Maddie is hugging a buffalo.
Noah, my flesh-and-blood son, is uncovering a mock fossil skeleton. When he digs for fossils, I know that he's definitely my progeny.
Isaiah played for awhile in the digging area.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
When digging in the fossils I was beginning to suspect ol' Morrill Hall!! How long has that silver tree been there?
pop...ha ha, you must be a midwesterner. do you say cupboards too?
r
That looks awesome! I'm so impressed by your ambition. Anytime there is some "special event" we usually make a special effort to stay away! Maybe I'll get there...
Jenny has been teaching our girls to say "pop" instead of soda just to hold on to a little bit of home. I'm with Elm though as to wondering when they put that tree in. But then I realized what building was in the background. You might think it is significant because it is "Andrews" Hall, but it was probably one of those windows behind you where Jenny and I first met in class.
So... I have to say - I grew up in the midwest, but NEVER have EVER called a carbonated beverage "pop." It has always been "soda" to me! Or coke, sprite, root beer, pepsi... but pop? nope!
So, JR - Mr. Andrews... That building is Andrews Hall? Nice that you met your lady there - but, that is Andrews? Aubrey, I guess you walked a bit down the sidewalk before snapping the picture, eh? 'Cause you were visiting Morrill Hall, right? I am not going crazy, right?
AND, JR - you might think that you have no idea who I am... BUT, you do know me! I am a Moravec. I am married to Tony and, yea, the one who lived about 5 miles from you in DC! HA - isn't it a small small world?!?!
I grew up in Tulsa, OK and get made fun of here in Houston for saying "pop". By my own husband, no less. ;)
Your kids are so cute. I love seeing all the photos of your adventures.
Elm, you are right on with Morrill Hall (a.k.a. Elephant Hall). I'm guessing that they walked across campus to the Wendy's on 14th. Ah, the memories.
Actually just the other day Aubrey and my wife were discussing some other real-world blog friend connections and Aubrey tipped us off to you. We hadn't had a chance to drop you a comment yet. It is a small world!
Post a Comment