Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow Day

Nebraska had a thunderstorm last night (in December!) so we got freezing rain which was topped with a couple inches of snow. This means that there's no school today; the kids start their Christmas break a little early. What do we do on a day where we can't go anywhere? We get out the book Unplugged Play and look for an activity. A mother recommended this on Coffee Talk several months ago and I ordered a copy almost immediately. It's a great activity guide! There are suggestions for kids from one year of age to ten years of age. There are simple games and there are more complicated activities.
Today our project is eco beads. We got out catalogs that I'd saved (thanks to Eddie Bauer, Wal-Mart, and Bed Bath & Beyond). I got out safety scissors and the kids are currently cutting out triangles. When we have cut out enough triangles, we'll take them and, starting with the base, roll the triangles around a pencil, seal the end with glue, and wait for them to dry. When they are dry, we'll string necklaces. Neat idea!

No comments: