Thursday, December 18, 2008

Scary Morning

We have a 95 year old World War II veteran living across the street from us. Our neighborhood hero's name is Ed and the picture above is him with Madeleine in late summer.

This morning I had to do something I never thought I'd have to do: I had to call 911 for a neighbor. I looked out my front window while I was chatting on the phone and saw Ed laying on his walk in front of his house. He was moving a little, trying to wave his arms. I ran over and saw that he had clearly hurt himself; he had a nosebleed and his palm had a deep cut. There was blood frozen on the ground beside him and so I knew that he'd been there for a little while. Not thinking, I picked him up (in hindsight, I know I should not have moved him but he was so very cold and it was 9 degrees outside) and brought him inside to his chair and called 911. He was conscious and kept telling me that he was cold and I needed to come shut the door. EMTs arrived in a firetruck and an ambulance followed. Long story short, he is on his way to the hospital.

I am so glad I was here to help him, but I still feel funny; It's hard to see someone that you care about hurt like that. The thing that got me the most is that he was helpless. He couldn't get up, couldn't yell, couldn't help himself, and it breaks my heart.

Please say a prayer for Ed, that nothing too serious is wrong with him and that I didn't hurt him worse when I moved him. I'll post an update on his condition if I'm able to find out.
UPDATE: Ed's niece called this afternoon, Monday the 22nd, to say that he died earlier today. Please pray for Ed and for his family.

6 comments:

Regina said...

dont beat yourself up over moving him. you very possibly (likely) saved his life. hooray for you!!
r

Aubrey said...

Thanks, Regina, for your reassurance. Mostly, I'm worried for Ed and a little shaken up; it's kind of a scary way to start your day and then hearing sirens coming toward our neighborhood while waiting with him and knowing that it was me that set that response in motion. It's a weird, funny feeling.

Megan said...

God's grace is so good... you were there! I'm sure you were shaken up, though! Let us know how he is!

Staci said...

You did a good job! Definitely don't worry about that. Thank God you saw him and were able to help. He'll be in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Thank the Lord you were on the telephone! What a precious man, to have lived through so much of our changing world. He must have fantastic stories to tell...

I am glad he will be alright :)

Blessings,
Amanda

Lerin said...

Oh my goodness, what a terrible thing to happen to him! I'm so glad you were there at the right time, and I'm sure your first instinct (to move h im) was correct.