In the comment section of a recent post, a fellow mom asked my opinion about homeschooling versus sending the children off to a parish school. The truth is, I don't have a strong opinion about it. Several of you who check this blog homeschool. If you have time, maybe you could leave your thoughts in the comments section! Don't hold back.
There is a solid homeschooling community in our area. I know many mothers who homeschool their children. I wish I had the drive to join their ranks, but I didn't think that I could handle it well with other little children (Isaiah). Even now with one child in school full time and one child in school half time, I struggle to find the hours to do chores, make meals, clean up after everyone, stop the arguments, and keep everyone's lessons straight. I have great admiration and respect for mothers who manage their households AND homeschool but it is not for me.
We send our children to our parish school. We belong to a middle class parish which has many young families with young children. We live close to the school; we're only 16 blocks away. Most of my friends are members of the parish and we have children in the same grades. Our tuition is extremely low; it's $100 per year per child, so finances are not an issue for us. The School Sisters of Christ the King staff our school with several teachers and our principal. Our diocese is extremely conservative as is our parish and school. I am glad to send my children to school where they learn about their faith as well as academics. I am extremely happy with our school and with the girls' teachers, the administration, and the other families.
Remember always that we are the primary teachers of our children. It is our business to find out what they are learning in school and expand upon it. I try to be as involved as possible in the school. Right now, I've not been able to spend much time there but I hope to spend a lot of time there in the future when my younger children are older. I'd love to do recess duty and help in the classrooms. Until then, I visit when I can and attend field trips and parties when possible.
Long story short? As I said in the beginning, I don't have strong feelings about whether parents should homeschool or send their children to a parish school. Sending the children to a public school is a whole different topic and for some people is the only option!
What's the bonus about sending your girls to a Catholic school? Those jumpers are so darn cute!
Anyone else care to weigh in?
7 comments:
I have been talking about just this topic recently with friends. I had hoped to avoid the school discussion until we moved home (NE) and could send our girls to schools like yours, but since I don't know that we'll be moving, I've been thinking about Plan B. Most parishes here don't have schools (including ours). There is a school supported in part by our parish (a very small part compared to the relationship between schools & parishes back home) but tuition is still $5,000 per year per child! Even Olivia's Mother's Day Out program is many times more expensive than your school tuition! So all of that makes me wonder what we will do . . . I don't feel especially called to homeschool and quite frankly, the thought of adding schooling to my daily chores is enough to make my head explode these days. We shall see what God has in store for us . . .
I agree completely with you on the entire subject. There is no right way, it basically all depends on what works for your family and how you feel about it. But I have to say I'm envious at how low your tuition is. Our parish school has monthly tuition.
when our oldest became school aged we were living in albuquerque, loved our parish, loved our parish school and sent her to kindergarten. when we moved to oregon it was mid year (still kindergarten) and we were forced by our NM school to pay the remainder of our tuition (NOT $100/yr...how lucky are you...more like $250/month) so i decided to homeschool the remainder of the yr (only a few months) with the intention of sending her back to Catholic school in OR for 1st. When we got to OR we realized our parish wasn't what we were hoping for and we decided not to send her to school there either. My husband refused public school so homeschooling was really the only other option. I have never been a gung-ho homeschooler...i think we all struggle with it at some time. and i think it is a misconception to think if you dont feel strongly called to do it, or think it is the only right option, then you shouldnt. when we moved to WA tug asked if we should look into catholic school again but i didnt want to. not because i now feel called to homeschool but because i know how easy it can be and for me the cost of catholic school outweigh its advantages.
i will say though, if you are homeschooling, you have more time to do your daily chores. not because you arent doing anything at home but because you ARE home. if you need to wash a load of laundry (towels for example) you can because you are there, even though you are in the middle of school. i see other homeschooler blogs and feel somewhat inadequate because i am more of a 'stick to the curriculum and lets get this school thing done' but i also like that we are done with the school day daily by around 11.30 and we dont do school on friday. we have lots of freedoms with our schedule.
i am just now starting to realize some of the pluses homeschooling has for our kids. no, they dont always get along. no, they dont always listen to me (that is an argument against homeschooling i often hear 'my child doesnt listen to me now, i cant imagine trying to be their teacher'). but i dont have to constantly undo what has been done in a day where they are influenced by people other than me.
no, homeschooling isnt for everyone...lots of people choose not to do it. i do think, however, any one can do it.
r
Thank you again for your thoughts on this for me! :) We live in a very small, concervative town and only 6 blocks from the parish school. (Most kids still ride their bikes or walk to school here!) Growing up, I went to both parochial school and I homeschooled for 6th and 7th grades. We belonged to a wonderful homeschool community and participated in many many extra curricular activites (ice skating, violin lessons, horseback riding, plays, cooking classes, pilgrimages, volunteer work, etc.).
Out of those couple homeschool years, I learned nearly everything can be used as a teaching device. When studying history, my parents and I would watch old movies like Beckett, A Man for All Seasons, and El Cid. We would go on "field trips" to the Smithsonian Museams and local shrines, monasteries and churches. As part of our English class one year, a group of homeschoolers (including myself) performed a Shakespeare play at Folger's theater in DC.
I plan on using this approach next fall when my son is 3. Seasonal lesson planning, I think it's called. The following year, I do plan on sending him to pre-school, as I think learning to be in that environment is important at that age. But as for the rest of gradeschool and highschool.... I"m still debating, but at least I've got some time! ;)
Cute blog ... found you through Out on a Limb.
I've done Catholic school, public school, homeschool , and private (secular) school. First I will say that you are so lucky to only spend $100 per year per child ... that is amazing. I have my own opinions on that with the whole Catholic school system ... some day I may touch on that.
You do what is right for your family. I am someone who has lived in many places and knows that different schools can be quite different. I want the best for my children and I supplement what I can (when I can) at home.
Sounds like you are happy ... good job mama!
Wow, I am so glad to see a post on this! I read so many blogs by Catholic homeschoolers.. it's nice to hear someone say why they are not homeschooling. Not that it's either good or bad; just nice to hear another viewpoint! I love the concept of homeschooling and know there's a great homeschooling community here on Long Island (Read "Haystack Full of Needles" by Alice Gunther.. about the LI homeschooling community, but also a great resource on building community in general!). But... I just don't sense a calling to it. We send our daughter to Catholic preschool and she (and her brothers) will continue there with grade school. It's pricey, though (wow.. I'm in awe of your $100 per year!) and I do think we'll have to closely monitor what they learn, especially about the faith. My husband isn't really on board with homeschooling, so for now this is our only option (we say no to public schools in general). Thanks for the post!
$100 per child per year?!? What a blessing! I spend more than that on homeschooling supplies for my one who is old enough right now. Our parish schools start at $4000 a year per child, and I'm pregnant with our fourth baby... it would be financially impossible for us.
I'm homeschooling out of financial necessity, as spending one year with the public school system was quite enough for our family. I was at first very reluctant, but now I am really starting to get into the groove and enjoy it. It does make it difficult to get my other daily chores done, but it is worth it. :) I'm at the point now where if I *did* have a free ride for all of my children in Catholic schools, I would have to really think about whether I wanted to send them after all. ;)
Post a Comment