Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Overheard

In an effort to get Noah, 6.5, to name the five senses in order to complete homework for kindergarten, we had the following conversation:

Me:  Noah, I want you to tell me what the five senses are.

Noah: (dubious look)

Me: Okay, smell is one of them.  If I set something in front of you on the table, you will smell it and that will help tell you what it is.

Noah: Or I would SEE it!

Me: Yes, and that would probably happen first.  But if I plugged your nose and covered your eyes, what else could you use to guess what's in front of you?

Noah: I could hear it.

Me:  Yes!

Noah: Someone could bring a tiger in the room if my eyes were closed. 

Me: Yes, and that would be noisy, but two more senses to name!  If I plugged your nose and covered your eyes and ears, how could you tell what was in front of you?

Noah: I'd touch it!

Me: So if I plugged your nose, covered your eyes and your ears, and tied your hands down, what could you do [to tell what's in front of you, on the table ... We were in the dining room; I was going for taste]. 

Noah: I would scream for my life.

9 comments:

Annie said...

We are CRACKING UP over here.

Cynthia said...

Cute!

Jessica of Faustina Farm said...

May our lives never be without young children!

Staci said...

I love the lengths we'll go to to complete those Kindergarten homework calenders. "Come on, honey! We need one more word that ends with an 'x'. Focus!" :)

I'm sure I'll look back on these days wistfully when I'm trying to talk my kids through calculus homework in HS. (That's a joke. Cause you KNOW I'm not the parent they'll be talking to for that level of math.)

Lisa said...

Ahahhaha!

Colleen said...

Gotta love that kid!

Mom P said...

If someone covered my eyes and held my hands down with a tiger in the room, I'd probably scream too. You go for it Noah. Who would want to taste a tiger anyway.

Smiler #1 said...

Me, too!

Soutenus said...

OK, so you had me giggling with lots of gusto over here!!!
All I can say is, "Smart boy!!" He had the right answer. LOL
The reason I stopped by was to ask you something:

I have (what I think is) a pretty cool project happening over at Woodlands Home. I hope you can take a minute to click on over and leave me your link! This is going to be an on-going weekly post. The whole idea is for people to share their point of view on a given subject. A simple picture is all that is needed: 1 Theme - Many Perspectives!