 |
| Note the gold National Honors society cord on Sophie! |
On Sunday, my not-so-baby brother and sister (yes, twins) graduated from high school! I'm so proud of them. Sophie graduated, a member of National Honors Society. She's headed for a state college to study elementary education/special education. Eli will join the Marines on August first.
 |
| Maddie hugs Sophie mid-graduation ceremony |
Sophie and Eli were born when I was fifteen. I cared for them, changed their diapers, fed them bottles, fed them baby food, helped them learn how to walk (Sophie before Eli because Eli had fractured his leg falling down the stairs when they were about a year old), taught them how to talk, gave them baths, taught Sophie how to sing "
Chica-cherry-cola," drove them to daycare on my way to school, and made them the crown bearers for my senior prom, when they were three. I left for college when they were three and a half. On my visits home, I'd listen to them read, and Sophie would often ask me to listen to her count to 100. When I was home, they were my little shadows. When Jeremy and I married, they were our flower girl and ring bearer. When Morgan was born a year later, Sophie--in all of her 9 year old baby-of-the-family glory--exclaimed over how cool it was to be a "young aunt." They've grown up! They finished grade school, junior high, learned to play instruments, marched in marching band, been nominated for homecoming king and queen, and played volleyball and basketball and football.
They do now with my children what I did with them: change diapers, babysit, entertain, read books, and help me with my mothering. The tables have turned! Now they've graduated.
 |
| Eli received his diploma |
As each graduate's name was announced, the principal read their plans--college, what major, etc.--and when she got to Eli, she said simply, "Elias will be serving his country in the Marine Corps."
The crowd, who had been sitting up to that point, stood and applauded him. He got a standing ovation. I choked up and got goosebumps all over. He deserves it. The superintendent had him turn around to see what the crowd was doing and he seemed embarrassed. It's good to have humility!
 |
| Eli turned to see his standing ovation |
 |
| Congratulations, Sophie! |
Well done, Sophie and Eli!
::
All photo credits go to my Dad!
 |
| P.S. This is what Maria did ... for the first 10 minutes of graduation. |
2 comments:
You are a super duper big sis. I wish them all the best.
Yay! Congrats to them! :) ~Laura
Post a Comment