Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama bin Laden and Other Thoughts

"I've never wished a man dead.  But I've read some obituaries with great pleasure."  (--attributed to Mark Twain)

The death of Osama bin Laden has got me thinking.  Should I be relieved, excited, scared, or disgusted?  Should Americans be throwing parties to celebrate?  Should we be rejoicing in the demise of another, albeit a terrorist and murderer? 

His death was a relief to me.  I thought through it this morning, while listening to broadcasts and morning-show-opinions.  First, I wondered whether we (Americans) should have killed him, or should we have imprisoned him?  Did we have the right to kill him?  His life did not belong to us but to God, although the blood of thousands of his victims cries out, all over the world.  I thought of that, then thought about what would have happened, had he been imprisoned.  He and his prison would have become a rallying point for terrorists.  If he were imprisoned here, it would render us susceptible to more terrorist attacks, international controversy, and attempts to free him.  It is also well known that prison doesn't stop terrorists from making and executing deathly plans.  After these things occurred to me, I came to the conclusion that it was indeed necessary to end his life.  It was necessary to kill him in order to protect America and many other nations.  Imprisonment wouldn't have rendered him impotent in the terrorist world.  I believe this.

But in spite of the fact that I think his death was necessary, I am nauseated by the excitement that radiates from America right now.  I believe that when we (America) deliberately put a person to death, we should do so with an appropriate amount of respect and contrition.  After all, we have just taken a life.  This is a very, very serious action. I heard that his body was buried at sea.  I am glad.  There need not be news broadcasts of his lifeless body, and unlike terrorist heathens, we will not drag it through the streets screaming for joy.  In the absence of a body to tout, people are celebrating in the streets, before the capitol, having a party.

(Aside: people might try to negate my thoughts by saying that I didn't lose anyone in 9/11, that I haven't lost a family member to military service, or that someone dear to me has never been murdered.  These people would be wrong on most counts.  I lost thousands of fellow Americans on 9/11, along with my own sense of homeland security.  I have one brother in the military, two veteran grandfathers, and a brother about to enter the Marines.  And I have lost a family member to murder.)

Let us show the world how America does it.  Let us show them that although we assassinated this terrorist, we are too dignified to celebrate his death.  Let us show the world that we are relieved that he is no longer a threat, and accept his death with a healthy dose of humility, for we are the ones that took his life, a life that--in spite of his potent terrorism--belonged to God alone.  Let God alone be his judge.

5 comments:

kim said...

I am glad u posted this since i am thinking the same exact thougts and now I don't feel so alone.

i think it was a necessary act to kill him for the reasons you stated, but also feel so so so sad. i don't know why I just do. I just feel that the end of anyone's life is sad especially a person like him---i don't feel he led a good life and i do "think" he must be in hell (although I am not God so I don't know) so the fact that another soul is lost forever in hell makes me depressed. I think back to the time a person is born--a sweet innocent baby---and now the person lived their life and most probably is in hell--i think thats sad.

I wanted to post about it but I thought ppl would say what a terrible person I am for feeling sadness for bin laden's soul and how I am unpatriotic etc... I feel disgusted inside when i see people rejoicing in the streets etc...I just feel sad. maybe I am wrong. Maybe I should be rejoicing, Idk but thats how I feel. sad.

an "eye for an eye" leaves you blind and doesn't bring back the ppl we lost.

Smiler #1 said...

I know what you mean, Aubrey. I watched the news last night mostly in disbelief, then relief that he is no longer a threat, then fear of retaliation, then almost disgust at the party on the White House lawn, now just a sense that what had to be done is done. Such a mix of emotions. I pray that this is a step in the direction toward the end of terroristic violence, & a chance for all of us once again to turn to God who provides the only true security!

Hansen Half Dozen said...

Totally agree Aubrey. Love the last paragraph.

Mom P said...

I think about the American military who had to carry out this mission. For months they knew they had to go in and end someones life. These men and women went in there, put their lives on the line, to protect us.

Lisa said...

I agree. While it was absolutely necessary to elimate Bin Lade, and I applaud the success of the difficult and dangerous task our awesome Navy Seals had to undertake -- it is always a weight on the world when a soul is taken that by all our estimations must have been condemned. Souls reaching heaven bring us up -- lost souls are a tragedy. It's not so much the fact that our military had to take this man's life that is reproachable -- Bin Laden asked for it. But that he chose his sinful life and the inevitability of his death is very sad, indeed.