Friday, January 14, 2011

Oddly Sentimental

Every morning that school is in session, our family has the same routine: the kids get up, get breakfast, get dressed, and with a lot of prodding and pushing, get out the door by 8:00 with Jeremy who takes them to school and then heads for work.

This morning, I stood at our front window holding Maria, which I often do as half of my family is leaving.  Then I became oddly sentimental.  I noticed Jeremy's profile as he pulled out of the driveway and onto the street--I really noticed it.  He sits the same way now as he did fourteen years ago when he began picking me up for dates.  He sits the same way now as he did ten years ago as the tireless fiance who picked me up for work--an extra half hour each way every day without complaining--and dropped me off afterward, for six months in a Nebraska winter when I had no car. 

There was my boyfriend pulling out of my driveway with my two oldest children in the back seat.  There sat the hot guy, albeit fifteen years older, that I fell in love with back in college.  I remembered sitting at front windows waiting for him to arrive.  I remembered the excitement that I felt when I heard or saw his car coming down the street all those years ago.  Right then, standing at the window, my heart skipped a beat.  I was transported back to a time when we were pretty carefree with very little responsibility and we felt new to each other.

It's easy to forget that time now, as we are now spouses working to raise a family, pay a mortgage, and put food on the table.  It's easy to forget that time of infatuation when the dishes need to be done, the trash needs to be taken out, and Maria has soiled her diaper.  I still get excited when I see his car come up the street or--more likely--hear the garage door opening.  It's for different reasons, now.  Not only am I eager to greet my spouse, my best friend, my rock, but I feel relief.  I am relieved that he is home safe, and I am relieved that he is here to help me. 

Whatever the reason, I am grateful for that little spark this morning that reminded me who my husband is and what he used to be: a playful boyfriend who wants the best for me.  Tonight as I sit writing this, I await his homecoming.  I'm eager to see him, and my heart just skipped a beat thinking about it.  Isn't marriage wonderful!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

*sweet* and sentimental.
Isn't it wonderful how those feelings and thoughts can all come flooding back in an unexpected moment? What a blessing these husbands are!

Smiler #1 said...

Definitely!

Jen said...

very sweet, aubrey. how quickly we forget those carefree days . . .

Lisa said...

My Mom's advice to me on my wedding day: Never forget that light in his eyes; never lose the light in yours.

I love love. <3

Therese said...

oh what a beautiful thing to be sentimental about Aubrey.

Jessica of Faustina Farm said...

What a beautiful testament to love and marriage.

Wife of a Soldier said...

This is such a sweet post :) I admit, my heart beats faster and I still get butterflies when hubby comes home from work :) a little thing, but very welcome in the sea of mundane ;)

Colleen said...

Awww, this is great! Luckily, we still feel crazy about each other too. Hence why we both have so many kids :)

Mom P said...

Forty years and counting and we still enjoy each other. Remember the kids will grow and be gone in a few short years, but you will still have each other. So, stay best friends. I still enjoy holding hands with that same guy I married forty years ago.