Thursday, November 18, 2010

Temperance

Temperance is defined as the trait of avoiding excess.  It is also defined as moderation or self restraint in action, statement, etc., self control.

::

Temperance is always something I've struggled with.  Lately, I've regressed into a state where I'm not exercising the self control that I ought to.  I don't mean with things of the flesh, but with words, thoughts, and actions.  My temper has always been quick.  It's like a match--it lights quickly, burns bright, then goes out just as quickly.

I thought since I began taking medication for Postpartum Depression, that the flares of annoyance or anger were righteous.  After all, I feel normal again, after fighting the overwhelming sadness and irritability that is PPD.  So when I feel angry, it's justified, right?  No.  Although the medication has returned to me the reins of my emotional state, I still have to work to act like a 32 year old woman!  I'm re-learning who I am, after years of struggling with PPD making me who I am not.

So here I return to the path of temperance!  No more complaining, no more griping, no more allowing the complaints of others to get under my skin.  What the heck was I thinking?

Thanks to my girlfriends for their patience with me, while I learn to remember that I'm an adult, a daughter of God who will treat all people with justice, compassion, and will forgive any slight--real or imagined.  Thanks for your patience while I re-learn the art of controlling myself!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Ooooh, temperence is HARD! I work on it minute by minute. A priest friend just told me a secret to keep my mouth in line (I don't curse, but I tend to say whatever's on my mind). He told me to make a cross over my lips when I'm tempted to say something mean or unnecessary. It works! Well, at least when I remember to do it ;)

Mom P said...

Let's face it, some people just need a whack along side the head once in a while.