Monday, November 23, 2009

Thirsting for Life

It doesn't matter that this is our fifth pregnancy, our fifth child, our fifth trip to the hospital, our third daughter. I'm mesmerized by her already. As I key this post, I can feel her strong kicks right above my belly button. I stopped to put my hands there and enjoy it. Rather than just twitches in my tummy, I can feel hard spots now, a head or bottom, and she's comfortable with her trunk on my right side. When she kicks and I feel it, I feel the body part that is kicking, perhaps a knee, foot, or elbow. There is no less novelty in this pregnancy than there was in the previous four.

A family in our parish recently had their seventh child. This may seem routine to the world, seeing a new "Jones" baby, but it's not routine to this mother. The look on her face and the way she holds her son shows that his new little life is a pleasure to her, that it is new to her, not routine in the least.

Wanting this child is intense. It is comparable to aching with thirst a mile from home on foot without water. I think of what it will be like in the delivery room the morning she is born. I think that the moment that Jeremy hands her to me will be like taking a long cold drink after a long hot hike. Every part of me will feel relieved. She will truly fill me up.

I am already in love.

6 comments:

Colleen said...

Such a beautiful pro-life post! I can't wait to "meet" her via your blog either! Especially because you're going to name her Colleen Margaret, right? ;)

Therese said...

wonderful post Aubrey.

I think the more I have, the more I cherish the movements and life of the baby.

I was sitting here smiling and feeling our little boy kick away while reading it.

I can find his head and bottom pretty quickly now.

Staci said...

Lovely! Wonderfully put, and right on.

I'll never get over the feeling of a baby moving inside me. I love that, even when it's keeping me awake.

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

I don't think any pregnancy is a "routine" happening. Each one is special in a different way. Enjoy your pregnancy and your child. Happy Thanksgiving!

Jessica Gordon said...

I totally know what you mean! =)

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Lerin said...

What a beautiful post! :) I am so happy for you, and looking forward to the day when I can welcome our fifth baby. :)