Friday, November 6, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday Volume 17



1. My doctor strongly recommended the H1N1 vaccine for me because I'm pregnant. I trust his judgment; it's rare for him to encourage a vaccination so I will be heading up to the office tomorrow for a shot. It's my first immunization since college began ... 13 years ago.

2. 24 weeks down, 15 weeks to go! Can't wait to see my little girl!

3. Those of you who Roman Catholics who have had a first communicant: what did you expect of your child at mass? Aside from being still and quiet, does he pay attention all of the time and seem interested in what is going on?

4. The scale in my doctor's office is off by 8 pounds. Two friends and I have come to a consensus.

5. In a few days, I will be out of diet soda. Aspartame is questionable, so I'm going to try to give it up. It's not the aspartame that I love--it's soda. But I won't drink sugar and I no longer want the aspartame. Tea time!

6. After a month of November during October, we're finally having October during November. Welcome to Nebraska.

Out of state translation: the weather is nice. Here in Nebraska, we say, "if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes." It's so very true.

7. May God bless all military men and women, especially those who recently suffered the loss of a loved one, a comrade, a friend, at Fort Hood.

::

Visit Jennifer over at Conversion Diary to read her Quick Takes and those of other bloggers.

10 comments:

kim said...

my 11 year old at 7 did not really understand anything even though she got good grades in religion etc...i have a boy in 2nd now who will be making 1st communion this year. He does not pay attention through the whole mass etc. He is quiet and follows along if we are sitting kneeling standing etc...I don't think even I understood the mass until I was in college! LOL.

Mom P said...

I'm giving up (trying) the diet pop also. I had a chrioprator that said steep green tea and put ginger root in it while steeping. You can put on a kettle in the morning and use it throughout the day. Both the green tea and ginger root are very good for you.

Lisa said...

Ya know, Aubrey... About youngins in Mass and First Holy Communicants... It's rare that any little one has an "AHA!" moment about the True Presence, I think. It may sometimes happen, but not in my experience (going on number 8 here this year -- and taught HOly Communion age children for many years). I believe it's a gradual learning process, but one that we can help along gently and lovingly. We want so much for our little First Communicants to prove to us that they've got it all together for this most important of events, but, honestly, it's hard for a little person to sit still as long as we require them to during Mass, let alone stay focused the whole time. Good Heavens! I wish *I* could stay focused the whole time! I'd like to tell you what we expect when and how we nurture a love of the Mass -- just from our personal perspective, but -- sheesh -- this is already too long for a combox... &:o) I'll post on it this weekend, howbout? It'd be good for me to write it all down just for the sake of my own forever failing faculties -- and because my children will be having their own children very soon... (Good heavens, what a thought!)

Elisa said...

Hey!!! I'm a fellow Nebraskan! Well, Switzerland (birth to 11 yrs) then Omaha, NE (11 yrs - 21), now I'm an Army wife, so all over. You have a beautiful family & I love your blog!

Regina said...

luckily my first 2 communicants have been pretty good. {l} made hers almost 2 years ago and reads along in the book. {r} will be making hers next year and their teacher wants them sitting in the very front pew. {r} is one who always follows directions (unless they are given by me) so every Sunday she heads straight to the front, often sitting alone since the other first communicants dont seem to want to do it. usually someone in our family joins her after communion. she too has always been pretty attentive during mass though. at 3 she didn't make a peep during mass and would kneel the entire time when she was supposed to. i think it is going to me a much rougher go with {j}
r

elm said...

We expect our First Communicant to be actively participating at Mass. That means, stand, kneel, sit when appropriate, be still and quiet, ask questions if you have them... if they pertain to the Mass (NOT about why someone has a horrible shirt on or the like), we expect him to pay attention to what is going on - and he doesn't seem to have any problem doing this. He is already 8, so I don't know if a bit older helps or not, but we only seem to have any slouchy or not paying attention problems when he got to be too late the night before. So we try, instead, to set him up for success and get enough sleep. He seems to fully understand the full presence and that does help with being able to sit with an appropriate amount of respect! Hope this helps!

Diane said...

I quit pop a super long time ago. But for some crazy reason during this last pregnancy (late afternoon craving for energy, I'm sure) I got into drinking natural Blue Sky pop. It's made with real sugar vs. HighFCornS, but, I know, still not the greatest, most nutritious choice. (It helped with the energy, though. Probably why I got hooked.)

In looking for a better alternative I found Izzy drinks (Target and our food coop carries it) and other juice spritzers (Knudsen's cherry cola is amazing). They were pricey, though, so I started making my own. It's super easy because it's just a mix of 100% juice and sparkling water, about 60-40 or 70-30 ratio. I buy the fizzy water in 6-pak bottles vs. one 2 ltr so it stays fresher.

I still love making these and it always feels like a special, yummy treat.

Another variation I do is essentially the same thing, but instead of fizzy water I use iced tea (plain, unsweetened--we generally always keep a big jug made in the fridge).

Good stuff and healthy, too! ;)

seth said...

i really miss that kinda weather! i don't know if crystal light has aspartame, but if it doesn't, it comes highly recommended by an addict. i've given up soda for a specific flavor: cherry pomegranate.

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Was your doctor concerned for you or your baby? Can you pass the flu through? I did not think that was possible. Interesting. Better safe than sorry, I imagine.

Amy J said...

Hey - saw the question about girl scout patches below. I need to put on G's boy scout patches too, and I did a little hunting on line for ideas because I really just don't feel like sewing them on(!). One product is called Patch Attach - you put in on the back, let it set, then when you iron it to the shirt it sticks. There's another one called Patch Magic. I'm looking at Hobby Lobby tomorrow, will call you if I find it.