My brother Seth took me aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln yesterday. This is the Aircraft Carrier to which he is assigned. The ship and her crew sponsored a Family Cruise.
I have not imported the 400+ pictures and videos that I took yesterday, not wanting to bog down my aunt and uncle's computer but I'm thinking of asking (I don't think they'll mind) because I got a really rockin' video of a Marine plane doing a touch-and-go on the flight deck of the aircraft carrier. If I don't post it here, I'll post it when I get home early next week!
We started our day at 3:00 a.m. We left West Seattle and headed toward Everett where the ship was moored. We boarded the ship at 4:30. At 8:00, the ship was underway. Breakfast was served and the mood was festive; everyone was excited and happy. Seth took me all over the ship. He showed me the door that led to his work station (I wasn't allowed in) and his bunk, the galley, the places that Flat Stanley went when he visited, the flight deck, and several trips to the Female Head which followed many cups of delicious coffee. Lunch was served and then we were treated to an air show. Marines from a nearby base did touch-and-go landings which means that they approached the deck, touched down, and took off again without stopping. There were three or four planes which made circles doing this routine over and over. We the guests were on the flight deck of the aircraft carrier no more than 50 feet from where these jets were performing. It was absolutely amazing. When the pilot would punch it to take off again, the vibration and noise (even with ear plugs in) took my breath away! After this, we went all over the ship again and ended up in the 8th level of the observation deck (above the flight deck) for mooring. We also saw a submarine and the Olympic and Cascade mountains were visible in all of their glory.
What an amazing day! The experience of this day comes in third only to getting married and having kids. That should say a lot. The other thing that says a lot is that my calves are BEGGING FOR MERCY after a day of climbing, climbing, climbing, standing, walking, and more climbing! :) More details later.
God bless the USA!
5 comments:
sounds awesome!!
r
Aubrey, thanks for keeping us posted on your trip. I look forward to seeing your amazing photos.Take care and travel safe, Carrie
Good choices for your three best days. Can't wait to see the video.
If Flat Stanley is piloting the touch and goes, we may need to talk ;)
What an awesome day Aubs. I am so glad you got to go to Seattle.
LV U Grandma
I'm so glad you were able to be there! Can't wait to see pics!
Post a Comment