Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Adventures of Flat Stanley

Flat Stanley is a little boy who was squished flat one day. This made him able to travel in an envelope to visit different places. Morgan's teacher decided to do the Flat Stanley Project with them. They each made their own Flat Stanley and sent it to someone far away. The person who received it would take Flat Stanley along for an adventure and then return him in an envelope with pictures and/or souvenirs. Morgan brought home the envelope for her Flat Stanley and said that she was going to send him to Uncle Seth. Brilliant, I said, as I was planning on suggesting (strongly) for her to do just that.

Flat Stanley spent yesterday aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln! My brother and his fellow Sailors made him uniforms and took him around the ship, taking pictures everywhere that they could, from the flight deck to the shower. He said that they had fun. I was thrilled to see the pictures at the end of the day when he e-mailed them. He said that I could share them. Flat Stanley eats with the Sailors.
Flat Stanley gets his own Dress Whites (uniform).
Flat Stanley is too small to open this door.
Flat Stanley stands on the flight deck of the USS Abe Lincoln.
Flat Stanley works out on the treadmill.
Flat Stanleky gets ready for a shower.
Flat Stanley tucks in for the night.
Flat Stanley at muster.
Flat Stanley says goodbye to the ship.
Flat Stanley with Uncle Seth, my brother. Good job, Seth!

10 comments:

Lisa said...

I LOVE it! A friend of our did a Flat Stanley project as a gift for her neices after a trip to Europe, and i thought it was THE coolest thing! It was a special treat for me to get the tour of the vessel with Stanley here this morning! As a Navy Brat, this was so very cool ~ and reminiscent of my Dad's days onboard ship. Just too neat, Aubrey!

(And, oh, btw! I have something for you over at my place!)

SQUELLY said...

This is brilliant! What a fun idea! Hope you don't mind me dropping by-found you through the Lemonade Awards. Please feel free to drop in at my little blog if you have the time or inclination.

Regina said...

making him uniforms? our tax dollars hard at work;)
super super cute!! love it
r

Staci said...

That is awesome - what a great brother you have to really do it up right and not just snap a couple photos! Too cool.

KimK said...

Oh my gosh, I love this so much I can't even tell you. What a great uncle your kids have!

Anonymous said...

Flat Stanley was a very blessed little fellow to have such an exciting adventure :)

I love the concept behind Flat Stanley.

Sarah said...

We've done Flat Stanley too, but looks like your Stan got the ride of a life time! Funny!

Colleen said...

Ha! Loves it! We just got the book for Christmas, why have I never heard of him before? Hmmmm, this is an awesome project, and your brother is so great to have really gotten into it.

Smith's Asian Adventure said...

Aubrey, thanks for sharing your brothers day and the adventure of flat stanley. What a cute project and sweet that Seth really took the time to make it a fun adventure for Morgan to be proud of sharing. We sure miss you!

Lerin said...

No objections here! He is such a brilliant, wonderful Daddy! :)