
It takes just the right temperature to form and keep these beautiful snowflakes. Did you know that frozen water is technically a mineral? What makes it a mineral? Glad you asked. According to the Dictionary of Geological Terms Third Edition a mineral is, "a naturally occurring inorganic element or compound having an orderly internal structure and characteristic chemical composition, crystal form, and physical properties." Simply put, it has to occur by itself in nature, be solid, and have a crystal form which means that its atoms are geometrically arranged. The kids and I are definitely getting out magnifying glasses today, as snow like this doesn't stick around for very long. Enjoy!
5 comments:
Wow! They're beautiful. Being from an area that does not get snow unless it's some fluke (and it melts almost as fast as it came) I have never seen aything like that (in person).
Thanks for sharing your great pictures.
what beautiful photos...living in georgia we don't get much snow, but a few years ago we had a ferocious ice storm that, aside from the mess it caused, was truly breathtaking.
I heard it's COLD in them there parts! Pretty snowflakes are a nice way for God to say, "I know it is so blasted cold that you can't go out and play very long. But, look at this beautiful creation!!"
OK, now this was fascinating! And the pics are awesome. I'm sharing this with the kids for science class today!
Wow!! That is So neat!
Post a Comment