Monday, January 5, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook Volume 9

Visit Peggy, the creator of The Simple Woman's Daybook! Here you can find out how to post your own Daybook and you may follow links to read the Daybooks of other women.
For Today, January 5th, 2009

Outside my window...It is sunny and looking to get above freezing today for a few hours! I'll be able to go through the carwash when the temperature is above 32...and it's about time! Outside of the front window, I can see a Penske truck parked down the street. I wonder who is moving in or moving out?

I am thinking...about how nice it is to have good neighbors. Our next door neighbor came over with her son late last week and we had supper together, talked, and played with Isaiah while the older kids played all over the house. Cat-a-corner from us, there is a large Catholic family whom we also play with. Across the street there will be changes, as our elderly neighbor has died and I'm sure that his home will be sold to a new family. Our next door neighbors on the other side are a young couple who both manage Amigos restaurants--the restaurant chain where Jeremy and I worked during college, met each other, and made friends that we still enjoy 12+ years later. Amigos employees are hired based on a personality test, so it's very easy for employees to get along. We aren't the only couple who met at Amigos and married! (How's that for rambling thoughts!?)

I am thankful for...our home which enabled us to host several events and many, many guests over the last week or two. You thought I was going to say that I was thankful for the Husker win over Clemson in the Gator Bowl, didn't you? Ha! I don't even know the score, just that we won.

From the kitchen...Buffalo Helper tonight. I'm not kidding. It's hamburger helper but without the hamburger and with buffalo. Who on earth has buffalo meet in their freezer? Apparently we do. This is Nebraska, after all. I think there's also venison in the freezer, but that's pretty common...there's no other odd stuff that I know of.

I am wearing...ouch...still PJs: a thermal waffle top, a fleece sweatshirt, sweat pants, socks and crocs

I am creating...I am trying to create shorter curtains for our upstairs window. Not much progress here!

I am going...to do laundry today. Jeremy bought two six-foot tables for the laundry room and these completely erased the dreadful feeling that accompanied a humongous pile of laundry! I feel organized and in control of the laundry room now! :)

I am reading...I'm still looking for suggestions. I'd prefer fiction suggestions, as I have a very tall stack of non-fiction and Catholic books to read already. Are you reading, Erin? This is your specialty!

I am hoping...that Isaiah doesn't dump his bowl of Chex and Bananas before I post this, get out to the kitchen, wipe him up, and get him down. Uh-oh...too late...

Learning at school and at home...The girls are back in school beginning today. It is quiet here without them! Noah and I are still working on his alphabet and Isaiah is expanding his vocabulary in leaps and bounds! It was great, over the Christmas holidays, to hear him run around the homes we visited calling out names, especially "Ma-mah" for Grandpa and/or Grandma!

I am hearing...the fireplace's fan running--it's a gas fireplace that acts as a heater--and Curious George on PBS.

Around the house...The Feast of the Epiphany has passed; Jeremy and I put the tree away yesterday. I'll put the Nativity away today and the miniature trees. It seems quiet here with only the two boys and me. Our house has been very full lately.

One of my favorite things...new babies. My three week old nephew was at our house today and I only wish I had more time to cuddle him. He's so warm and tiny and makes such sweet, quiet noises and smells so good. Baby fever? Not yet! ;)

A few plans for the rest of the week: Until Saturday, there is nothing on the calendar! :)

Here is a picture thought I am sharing:This is Darin, Woody (Bill), and me at Amigos on New Year's Eve. Darin was working his last shift to finish a 12 year career at Amigos. Woody met me in the parking lot and suggested that I put on a uniform shirt and visor and play a joke on Darin. It worked and it was fun. Darin was a groomsman in our wedding and I lived at Woody's house the last 10 months before Jeremy and I were married. Amigos people stick together!
::
If you are visiting from The Simple Woman's Daybook, you are welcome to visit the rest of my blog by clicking on the header. I love to read messages from visitors! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Willa Cather is probably my favorite author. Her novels are not fast-paced, but her rich writing keeps you engaged. If you've never read anything of hers before, My Antonia is a good place to start.

Anonymous said...

In this House of Brede by Rumer Godden (Catholic fiction) - it's at Gere
:)