My husband and I fell for Survivor hook, line, and sinker after watching the season finale of Survivor: Borneo and then the season premiere of Survivor: Australia. We've been watching since before we were married! Oh, we are suckers for the show. We missed the first 9 episodes of this season because Jeremy was out of town and we knew it would be available online to watch together later. Well, this weekend we finally caught up with the season by flipping the couch around toward the computer and going to the CBS website. Who needs to rent movies?There was one strategic move in particular that left Jeremy and me sitting there on the couch with our mouths hanging open. I'll set up the scene: the Survivors were playing a game in which one member of each team would roll a ball down a hill toward several goals. Their objective was to get the ball into one of the goals for points. There were two men at the bottom who were blindfolded and trying to stop the other team's ball by following the shouted directions of a team member. One guy/girl team was not communicating very well--Ace and Sugar. Sugar's directions weren't clear enough for blindfolded Ace to follow. The other team was doing a fairly good job. In the last ball-roll, a member of the opposing team (Randy) yelled, "Freeze, Ace, freeze!" Ace froze, even though he was supposed to be following Sugar's directions, not Randy's. As a result, the ball rolled right past Ace and into the goal. The other team won.
That got me thinking today about how the devil might work this way. Whose voice are we listening to? We are, in a way, blindfolded as we work our way through life on earth. There are many voices cheering, jeering, and calling out directions. Can we focus in on that one voice that's guiding us correctly?
Here's a movie quote originated by a French poet: "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
3 comments:
You're very philosophical about your tv shows. And to think, I watch them for opposite reason (to NOT have to think for a while)! But great point about trying to listen to the always-right voice instead of just the right-now voice.
Jenny and I have to admit that we also watch Survivor. If you want to take the advice of Sun Tzu in "The Art of War" (which I haven't read) to "know your enemy", then I recommend reading "The Screw Tape Letters" by C.S. Lewis (which I have read). It is a series of letters from a senior demon to a junior tempter giving advice on how to turn the soul of a man. It is an intriguing look at just how the "enemy" might be at work.
The Screwtape Letters is a great tool! I have started but not finished the book. I keep getting sidetracked. The first time I picked it up, I got the creeps thinking about how the minds of demons work!
Post a Comment