Thursday, November 13, 2008

Six and a Half Years Has Taught Me That...

...the best way to heal a bad diaper rash is to let the one year old run around in the buff for awhile. Paper towels clean up puddles left on the floor but so do kids' socks.

...mud isn't so bad. Bleach is my friend.

...I should relish the moments where cuddles and kisses heal all owies.

...dancing in the rain makes cloudy days brighter.

...a little candy never hurt anyone.

...chores can wait for a little while but children grow while you're blinking.

...silence is not necessarily golden. It just means that someone is playing in the toilet.

...toilets will chuck their contents all over the floor but not necessarily the item that's really clogging it.

...my arm doesn't fit up the S bend. Who knew?

...I'm always glad to have the pictures, even if I felt silly snapping away at the time.

...dogs are great but they bite, no matter if the owner says, "he's never bitten before!"

...earrings are overrated.

...20 minutes out in the snow is worth the 30 minutes of bundling and 30 minutes of unbundling.

...ceiling fans don't like balloons on a string.

...the thought of of pulling teeth makes me want to vomit and it's a job better left for Daddy.

...nine months of pregnancy and a C-section is worth the moment of that first cry.

...C-sections make an easy explanation for kids wondering how the baby comes out of Mommy's tummy. Then they get smart.

...having kids close together is a blessing better appreciated when everyone is out of diapers.

...Mass was not designed for one year olds.

...five year olds don't care who they yell "no" at when they're upset, even if it's Monsignor that's offered them a blessing to try and ease the chaos in the van.

...our priests are very tolerant, patient, and understanding.

...lots and lots of blood doesn't necessarily mean stitches.

...it's hard to drop off your five year old at kindergarten no matter how ready you think you are.

...I miss the closeness of nursing once it's over.

...kids are beautiful when they're sleeping and all of the day's difficulties are forgotten.

...watching my kids sleep makes me want to have more kids to watch.

...I feel intense pity for a four year old who just threw up on the carpet, stopped to say, "I'm sorry, Mommy," and threw up some more.

...it's hard not to laugh at a four year old who says, "throw up goes in the toilet, right, Mom?"

...sometimes you have to leave the room to laugh when it's really time for a punishment.

...Dad was in the kitchen fighting back his laughter while punishing and I didn't help by having to leave the room.

...having children brings you closer to your girlfriends and your sisters than you ever thought possible.

...raising children gives you a new appreciation for your parents.

...making your parents into grandparents is fun.

...the moment that you told your grandma that she's going to be a great-grandma will forever linger in your memory.

...seeing your child in the lap of her great-great-grandmother is priceless.

...seeing your two children playing around their other great-great-grandmother's wheelchair is doubly priceless.

...nieces and nephews have got their macho uncles wrapped around their little fingers.

...there is nothing better than watching your husband tenderly cuddle a newborn.

...kids are God's greatest gift to parents.

6 comments:

Regina said...

great post
r

Jenny said...

Beautiful, Aubrey!

Colleen said...

Hi Aubrey...that was a great list, I should bookmark it to read on those days when I forget how lucky I really am :-) Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh and almost shed a few tears.
Very beautiful!

thesixburghmom said...

I love this! Thanks!

Wife of a Soldier said...

Wonderfully touching post :) Def keeps things in perspective :D