I have a beautiful little 18 month old goddaughter. Using a
suggestion from my friend Staci, I formulated my own method of making a table tent. The idea is to use a table rather than poles (which can be used as swords). The table is always there, and kids always want to throw a blanket (or seven) over it to make their own cave or tent. Noah calls his the man-cave. Hee hee. So I practiced a couple of times using old sheets from Salvation Army, and it turned out pretty well. Ready for a good effort, I bought a brand new twin sized sheet from Wal-Mart, some ribbon and buttons, and got busy. This is what I came up with, by trial and error (cover the error with pretty ribbon) in one day's work:
 |
| Measuring a small card table, I cut two corners out of the sheet. |
 |
| I sewed it all together, then cut out a window. To make the window stronger (the window on our trial tent ripped the first day), I added ribbon and extra stitching. I had a pretty curtain made for it, but I sewed it on backward, so I pulled it halfway up and sewed it in place. |
 |
| I sewed green ribbons up from the base of the tent and hand sewed daisy buttons on the tops of the ribbons. |
 |
| I could have made the front of the tent with orange fabric, but I thought that adding the flower fabric as one half of the door made it a little prettier. |
 |
| I made it a little long, because the card table I used was smaller; I figured it would be better to have a tent that was a little too big rather than one that measured too small when my beautiful little goddaughter took it home for her own card table. |
 |
| With one of the square of fabric that I cut out, I fashioned a simple bag. I put ribbon through the neck of it so that it could be tightened. The ribbon can be tied in a bow to fasten it. |
 |
| The tent can be folded and placed in the bag with plenty of room left over for other things. Voila! |
|
|
 |
| After everything was finished, I had this much fabric left over from the twin sized sheet. This is fabric I cut from the window and replaced with flowered fabric, so theoretically, the whole sheet could be used in the making of a table tent. And why would I spend $30 on yards of fabric when I could spend $2.50 on a sheet at Wal-Mart that has finished edges? |
3 comments:
So, did one of the squares you cut out of the sheet (in the first picture) become the fourth wall of the tent, making it go around all four sides? Just making sure I understand. I may have to make a smaller version as a gift for some kids I know in the future. Fun stuff!
And awesome work on the curtain and flowers. Yours has a much more "finished" feel than mine. Super cute!
This is a great idea! I love the fun orange color too.
You made a beautiful tent Aubs, Genevieve will love it.Grandma
Post a Comment