Monday, December 6, 2010

Monday

I really did send this e-mail to my dad this afternoon:

Hi, Dad
.
Want to laugh?  This morning, I went down to the laundry room (Starbucks in hand) determined to make some headway.  I folded two loads, washed two, folded another one, sorted the piles that came down, and tripped over a storage tote behind me.  I had three storage totes on top of a newly-placed table in the corner, and three beneath it.  They're all full of the kids' out-of-season or outgrown clothing.  I picked up this storage tote, pushed over the pile of clothes that are sitting there waiting to be sorted, and shoved it back into the corner.  My wedding dress was hanging on the bar overhead, so I couldn't see what was back there.  All of a sudden, I heard a sound much like a waterfall.  Apparently, there's a lever back there that releases lots of water.  Can you imagine what happened?  The clothes are soaked, there's water in the totes, water all over me, water splashing everywhere, and the three year old standing behind me saying, "Mama, what's that noise?  Ooh, water!"  I am happy to announce that the sump pump sits right beneath this newfound water spout.  I turned off the water and started laughing.  What else is there to do?
.
I tried to take that approach when I cleaned paint off of the stove, chair, floor, and Isaiah.  That's what I get for getting out the paint to touch up walls and leaving the lid off of the can while I put Maria down for her nap while Isaiah was finishing his lunch ... or so I thought.
.
So this afternoon, in order to avoid dealing with the laundry room mess, I decided to hem curtains that needed to be shortened.  I sewed twenty feet of hem, then the bobbin ran out ... four inches away from the finish line.  So I move the empty bobbin to the top of the machine and start the thread, and stop, realizing that the bobbin isn't threading properly.  I roll that thread off the bobbin and throw it away.  I do this two more times before I plop down in my chair and wonder what on earth is wrong with my machine.  I reach for the phone to call my friend Staci to ask her what the heck is wrong with my machine, because it couldn't possibly be a human error.  It is then that I remember that she's probably napping since she has a newborn.  I stare at the machine and wonder what Staci would probably ask me.  "How's your tension?"  I shake my head and roll my eyes at myself, wind the thread around the tension screw and make a perfect bobbin.  I place the refilled bobbin, rethread the machine, start sewing, and proceed to sew the curtain to the foot of the sewing machine.  Dad, I couldn't have done this on purpose.  I started cussing when I realized that out of the three seam rippers that I own, I cannot find one.  Not one.  Not even the one I used fifteen minutes earlier to thread the bobbin when I began sewing.  *sigh*  
.
Go ahead now, have a laugh.  That's what I'm doing.  I can't believe how pathetic this is!
.
As I type this message, iTunes started playing Find the River so I know it'll be okay.  It makes laughing easier.
.
I'm going to go back and finish those stupid curtains now.
Love,
Your #1 daughter

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Oh Aubrey you just made my day seem a whole lot better. But not quite as amusing ;)

Wife of a Soldier said...

Oh my gosh, you are having one of those days too! They make you want to laugh or cry - I like your option of laughing over mine of crying ;)

Mom P said...

Put it this way. All your laundry is pre-soaking. Plus Isaiah got a shower at the same time. Isn't it great that Our Lord gives us a sense of humor, and a short memory.