This is the same baby who would scream inconsolably for an hour here and an hour there. So what happened?
I wrote about Colic Calm. It's true, that helped. But after awhile, its effects seemed diminished and I would either have to give her more or listen to her shriek, scream, and cry. I couldn't put her down and even when I did hold her, she would still cry, just not as hard.
While sitting and nursing, I observed her reacting in pain and noticed that her gas was painful. She couldn't just burp or pass gas--there was writhing and screaming involved. I remembered that she'd taken an antibiotic for a few days when she was a week old (she had an infection) plus whatever antibiotic I was given during surgery that she got through me. I started to wonder how I could get more bacteria into her little gut. Grown ups can take probiotic supplements or eat yogurt. Babies cannot eat yogurt, and although I pass digestive bacteria to her through breastmilk, she clearly did not have enough to help her digest well.
So what did I do to get this brand new baby? I found a probiotic for her by talking to my friend Annie. It was recommended by a lactation consultant for her newborn son. The day that I exchanged e-mails with Annie, I headed to the breastfeeding center, all five kids in tow in the pouring rain, to pick up this probiotic.
Within three days, Maria was a new, happy, content, sleeping, smiling baby. I continued the probiotic--I'm still using the first $30 bottle--and watched her stools change back to normal, watched her mood change, and watched her eliminate gas from both ends without so much as squirming. Now I give it to her once or twice a week to ensure a well populated gut. She's such an easy baby now, that I want to have 10 more just like her. Really.
6 comments:
glad the colic is gone. she is too cute.
That baby of yours is absolutely darling! Those blue eyes, that smile! Oh, I just want to squeeeeeeze her!
I would never have thought to go the probiotic route. I'm definitely going to keep your experience in mind - cuz even if I don't get anymore babies myself I'm thinkin' I might just have me a grandbaby before long.
Glad your sweet baby girl is happier now. I hope you really do get to have 10 more just like her!
At 27 weeks pregnant and a history of colicky babies, this is a very interesting post indeed. Thank you for sharing.
Thats great. All my other children had bad reflux with their wind but Joseph just brings it all up and laughs. He doesn't get much discomfort from wind at all.
Welcome to the Catholic blogs directory. I'd like to invite you to join Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. We are a group of Catholic bloggers who gather weekly to share our best posts. This week's host post is at http://rannthisthat.blogspot.com/2010/06/sunday-snippets-catholic-carnival_19.html
Aubrey, after having 2 with colic, I am keeping this in mind for any future babies. Thanks!! (But even with my colicky ones, they usually improved around 4 months, which is when their digestive system is more developed).
Post a Comment