Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Seconds From Disaster

I am at the end of the most unbelievable morning. Note that I am neither stressed out nor am I upset. I am not seeking sympathy. I just can't believe how quickly 3.5 hours passed with nonstop activity. I laugh as I sit here and think about it. Life with a new baby is always very interesting.

I've got 5 kids at home; school is out this week.

I got out of bed at 8:00 when Maria was crying in her room. She was hungry. I fed her, burped her, and handed her off to Morgan so that I could clean up the breakfast mess sitting on the table. I took her from Morgan and laid her in the changing area in the Pack 'n' Play in my room. I got distracted with pony tails, help with puzzles, and Transformers. I handed out new shoes to four children. When I went back to her, I found that someone had removed her diaper (not me) and she had wet all over her lower half and the blanket beneath her. I sent Isaiah away and grabbed her bathtub. I bathed her, dressed her, and fed her again. She fell asleep. I handed her to Madeleine and went to the bathroom to shower as fast as I could.

While in the shower, I received four different visits from two different children. The last was Noah telling me that Isaiah was into the sugar in the kitchen. We made "donuts" the night before and I left the powdered sugar at the back of the counter. He pulled a chair up to the counter and made the biggest mess my kitchen has ever seen. So I filled the bathtub and put Isaiah in it. I answered a phone call. Madeleine came into the kitchen to tell me she's tired of holding Maria and I handed Maria off to Morgan. I turned the radio on, listened to our Bishop speaking on Catholic radio, and began cleaning up the kitchen. I called to Noah and told him to get into the bathtub. I had to unload the dishwasher in order to clean that mess up. I finish and began loading it again. I wiped counters, cupboards, swept the floor, wiped chairs, cleaned the table, scrubbed what needed scrubbing, and finished up as Madeleine came in to tell me that while I was cleaning, the boys had been splashing water onto the bathroom floor.

I went into the bathroom and moved the sopping bathroom rug. I put down a towel and told Noah to add more water, as I needed to wash their hair. He told me all the hot water was gone.

*sigh*

Morgan came into the bathroom to tell me that she thought Maria was poopy, as she smelled bad and felt wet. I tell her to hang in there--I've got to finish with the cold boys in the luke warm water who are shivering and then I'll help her. Madeleine wanted a pony tail too. The phone was ringing again.

I finished with the boys, toweled off Isaiah and instructed Noah to dry off and get dressed. I sopped water from the corners of the bathroom. I put Isaiah in a Pull-Up and got him dressed. I talked Morgan through holding a poopy baby while she waited.

As fast as I could, I took down the Pack 'n' Play and move it from our bedroom to Maria's room. I set it back up and covered the changing area with a fresh blanket. I told Morgan to put Maria down. I filled the empty wet wipe container and grabbed a handful of diapers. I told Morgan to go wash her hands, as she had used the words, "She feels wet," when talking about Maria.

I told everyone to put shoes and socks on and go outside. I changed Maria, got her dressed again, and sat down to nurse her. By then it was 11:30.

So much for the museum, so much for the park, so much for an errand to Target and to Home Depot. Time for lunch.

I turned on the TV to nurse Maria. I put it on the National Geographic Channel and realized that I was watching the show Seconds From Disaster. It's about the December 2004 Tsunami in Asia/the Indian Ocean. Yikes. I wasn't stressed out to begin with, but God always has a way of pointing out that my unbelievable mornings are pretty mild.

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh Aubrey, I am tired just from reading this! You are so amazing and I admire your strength and positivity, as I would most definitely would have been freaking out in moment one! Thank you for posting, as it reminded me of all the blessings and put things back into perspective.

(I know you didn't post this for me to say "I admire you", but it just comes naturally so I had to say it!!!)

KimK said...

Wow -- much love to you! That sure sounds exciting. ;) Good perspective at the end, there. I'm the type that needs that kind of reminder quite a bit.

fullofgracex9 said...

Whew! What a great response that would be to a simple, "What did you do today honey?" Hee hee!! And at the end of the day you can watch them all sleep peacefully and know that in 18 years you'll have to make your own messes. Never a dull moment...isn't is wonderful?! :)

kim said...

musuem? target? wow. you have high intentions...lol. It was a long time beofore I could even THINK about those things with 5...lol.

anyway, sounds like an eventful morning.

Smith's Asian Adventure said...

Yes,I also believe perspective is a good thing. Hope today gives you more of a break. Love you, Carrie

Mom P said...

I read about you morning activities and get to the bottom and there is a picture of a sleeping angel with a beautiful smile on her face.

Colleen said...

Seriously - how do those homeschooling moms do it?? As you know from experience, you can't plan too much with a newborn - but A+ for trying! I wish we were neighbors and could just raise our children in a commune :)