Each of my pregnancies has been different. This is the fifth. I spent the first trimesters of my first four pregnancies nauseous and unwilling to eat. I got sick only a couple of times (with #4) but would lose a small amount of weight in the early part of pregnancy due to this aversion to food.
This pregnancy is different. I've had headaches more days than I haven't but I have had only a few incidents in which food made me nauseous. Twice it was scrambled eggs, the other time it was fried squash patties with Parmesan cheese.
So my appetite has been pretty good. Admittedly, food which someone else has made always tastes better to me than something I've worked on. The cravings that I have are STRONG but once satisfied, disappear. It hasn't been the same thing twice.
I had shaky hands one day thinking about fish. Long John Silver's satisfied that and I haven't been back there yet. When I bought that fish and arrived home with it, every bite tasted like the best bites of food that I've had. One day, I was craving Tex-Mex so bad that I felt like crying. I ordered a Bloomin' Onion from The Outback and ate half of it quickly. Each bite was like tasting Heaven. I haven't thought of it since. I've craved apples and grapes, Cheez-Its and Goldfish, BLT sandwiches and Bic Macs, pepperocinis and pickles, garlic bread, milk, Gumbo, Clam Chowder (the real stuff, not canned), Bean & Bacon soup, chili, cereal, and pizza.
The cravings are amazing; they'll get so strong that I'm willing to take all four kids to the store during the witching hour just to satisfy it.
What cravings have you had during pregnancy/pregnancies? Is it the same every time? Is the craving the same throughout pregnancy? Share with me!
9 comments:
A bloomin' onion emergency? A Long John's Silver one too?! Funny!
I was most nauseous with William (lasted six months - awful!), but the last two were not nearly as bad. I do remember needing Goldfish crackers with Elliot to keep my nausea at bay. And I don't even really like them.
I hope your headaches go away soon...
Thanks, Renee. I started chiropractic care a couple of weeks ago and have had only a couple of small headaches since. I feel much, much better! :)
you are so funny!! i dont have cravings, but i dont have any food aversions either. i dont get nauseous. needless to say, i gain a lot of weight during pregnancy!!
r
It's funny what you said about the cravings never being the same twice. That's exactly how it was for me both times. The nausea, eh, I had it and it wasn't fun, but it didn't keep me from functioning, either.
My favorite food/pregnancy story? One night, pregnant with our first, I wanted an Arby's roast beef sandwich in the WORST way. I was home alone, so I got in the car to go get one myself. When I got home, I found they had given me the wrong sandwich. It was roast beef with melted cheddar on it, and it did not look or smell appetizing at all. I was SO disappointed that I burst into tears and was sobbing over this ridiculous sandwich. Of course, this is the moment my husband walks through the door. I was so distraught, all I could manage in explanation was (in a shaky, crying voice) "I didn't want CHEESE!" We laugh and laugh about it now, it's become a household catchphrase for silly disappointments that seem worse than they really are.
I always had naseau for the first 4 months of all 4 pregnancies. During that time, I always crave citrus fruits and lemonade. The thought of meat made me sick.
For the rest of my pregnancies, I basically would want whatever I saw on tv!! But it wasn't like I HAD to have it. Quite a few Taco Bell and McDonald's runs, I'm sad to say.
Good luck with satisfying all your pregnancy desires :)
Pregnancy #1... Chocolate. THis is strange because I don't eat chocolate "alone" - I like it with caramel, peanut butter, whatever. Just not plain chocolate. I couldn't get enough bowls of chocolate ice cream - occasionally with Hershey's chocolate on top! I also ate large quantities of fudge pops. I was looking into making my own I was eating so many of them. I had NO self restraint when it came to those frozen chocolates on a stick!
Once that babe was born... and I was nursing, I was craving ice. I had crushed ice ready to chomp on whenever the need arose. Often.
The other pregnancies don't have a craving that sticks out in my mind quite so much. I don't really get nausea, but heartburn is my late pregnancy sidekick! This pregnancy isn't different... so, I guess I crave my bottle of mint Mylanta!! (refrigerated, please!)
Mine is ice cream. Preferably chocolate milk with ice cream in it.
And, although I still don't really consider myself a Texan yet, I must say that a Bloomin' Onion is not Tex-Mex. You guys really need to come visit and we'll treat you to some real Tex-Mex. I promise the drive isn't that long.
I've never had one of the crazy cravings that required sending a husband out in the middle of the night or anything, but I develop different tastes. With Ruth, especially... I'd never liked cream cheese and suddenly I wanted a bagel with cream cheese every morning. I'd take one to work with me each day so I could eat it mid-morning when I knew the urge would hit. And then grapefruit. I took one to work every day once I got past the cream cheese thing. Mostly I'm an aversion person. I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what sounds least bad. Although a McD's cheeseburger pretty much always sounds good when I'm pregnant (or when I'm not :).
My pregnancy cravings are always pretty random and wierd and fast food is involved more than not. Last time I remember really needing a Hardees musroom & swiss burger.
I always indulge myself in my cravings, though, because I always think that it must be something my body really needs (I heard that once and thinking it always makes me feel better about eating the stuff when it isn't necessarily the healthiest.).
Post a Comment