Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What a Day!

Our Monday begins with swimming lessons for Morgan, Madeleine, and Noah. They are signed up for a series of 9 lessons. 4 were completed last week and Monday was #5. Maddie wouldn't get into the water right away, which is unusual for her. Sunday she had complained that her ear was bothering her but since we'd been swimming and she had ear tubes, I didn't think that there could be a serious problem. When I went over to her to put plugs on, I saw that she had a bit of discharge (TMI, I know ... sorry) and so I called the doctor's office. They were good enough to squeeze her in at 1:45. So we leave lessons at 11:30, pick up lunch, head home, call a family who lives a few blocks away for a sitter, pick up our very first babysitter, and head to the doctor's office where we find out that she has an infection. We are to follow up with our doctor on Wednesday. No more lessons for Maddie!

Fast forward to Monday night: I'm at bible study at a friend's house when my mobile phone rings. I pull it out and see that it's Jeremy and excuse myself to answer it. I hear lots of screaming in the background and he says that I'll need to come home; Noah will need to go to the ER for stitches. I tell him that I'm on my way and grab my things and head home. Noah's calm by the time I get there but he has hit his head on the coffee table and it's clear that he does indeed need to go in. Jeremy puts him in the van and I take him to the ER. The next part is actually fun.

We are checking in and I spell our last name and the lady asks his first name. I say that it's Noah and Noah pipes up, "N-O-A-H." She asks his birthday and he says, "October sixth," and I fill in the year. He talks and asks questions all through the examination and cleaning. He thinks that it is funny when they put his arms behind him in a pillowcase and wrap him like a mummy. The only time he cries is when they put the strong "magic water" (numbing stuff) on his wound. Once the numbness sets in, he begins asking questions again ... while they're stitching him up! He talks the nurse's ear off all the way to the door and is thrilled when we stop at Walgreens to pick up special Band-Aids. What a trooper! At home, he sits on Daddy's lap and tells him all about his little adventure in the Emergency Room. We follow up with our own doctor on Monday. No more swimming lessons for Noah!

What a Monday!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad he's ok. Boys are an adventure for sure...I am not looking forward to our first ER trip.

And the weather is so cool, I bet they feel fine about not having to get in the pool!

Smiler #1 said...

Wow. What a trooper! Our first visit to the ER with Andrew was when he was almost 3...stitches in his head, too. Crazy, wonderful boys. : P I'm hoping NOT to see you there sometime!

Sandra said...

Mmmm....stitches; I suppose with 3 boys (thus far) stitches are in my future, but I have to admit...I'm not ready for that! Someone told me the other day that they could not believe I have 3 boys and have yet to deal with stitches!! :-)

I have a swimming lessons saga; where and who to go to. Do you mind sharing some info on that one?

Cute pics!

Colleen said...

John-Paul was Noah's age when he fell at the playground and needed stiches on his head. Must be a boy thing!!

Smith's Asian Adventure said...

I love that you have added the babystrology countdown to your blog. It is fun to share each day with you as your little peanut grows. Also, I can't imagine the day you had with the kids and Dr/ER visit's but somehow you manage to keep your calm...it's quite inspiring.

Therese said...

oh what a day indeed. I hope both Noah and Maddie heal quickly.

Regina said...

luckily we have managed to skip the stitched route here (so far).
hope things are better soon
r

Anonymous said...

I am glad N-o-a-h is all stitched up again. It can be quite a scary thing when they bump themselves and lots of blood follows.

My now 19 yo was always doing that - bumping his head on a coffee table, or brick window ledge etc. If he were to shave all his hair off he would have a few scars to prove it, lol.

Diane said...

Wow. What a way to start off the week! It seems like Noah did a great job with the whole thing; how did you hold up??? I think I would have been a terrible mess!

Jessica Gordon said...

Oh boy!! I don't think I'll be complaining anymore about my day (at least until I get thrown up on again) after reading this!!!