Friday, July 10, 2009

One Quick Take Friday

We just saw Transformers. The Decepticons sink the aircraft carrier CVN 74 at the beginning and call it the Roosevelt (which is really CVN 71). Then later in the film, an attack is mounted from CVN 74, which is in tact, working, and underway, and they call it the Stennis (correct). How did their editing team miss that? That's a big mistake!

Those of you who are unfamiliar with Navy vessels (me too but I'm learning), each is assigned a number. CVN indicates that the vessel is an aircraft carrier, N is for nuclear, as in nuclear powered. G would stand for gas powered, for example. On an aircraft carrier like the one pictured here, the number is highly visible on the control tower, visible for miles, and on the aft flight deck. The pictures below are from my brother's aircraft carrier, the USS Abraham Lincoln CVN 72.That's my quick take. I couldn't resist. Now you know!

1 comment:

Wife of a Soldier said...

Good catch! :)

Just saw your good news - Congratuations!!! I am so excited for you all! :) How have you been feeling?